Brother

Dauntless training is a lot harder than I figured. But I'm good at it. I beat every opponent I fight, I always hit the target first time when shooting. My fellow initiates are always giving me stares, mouths opened in awe.

"Are you magic?!" Megan asks me often. "I read a book once, about a wizard called Harry Potter. Are you a wizard? Is that how you're so good?"

"I don't have any tricks up my sleeve." I try to convince her, and everyone else who questions me. "It all comes naturally."

Megan and I are now the greatest friends. I feel like I have known her all my life. I know lots about her, but she hardly knows anything about me. I might tell her my true origins, one day...

Of course I trust her. It's just I'm not sure how she will react. She could completely keep it secret but also be disgusted with me and never speak to me again.

She's the only friend I've ever had, and I don't want to lose her.

Well, except from Jamie.

Jamie is amazing. He's so sweet, kind, funny, charming, handsome... how many positive adjectives could I possibly use to describe him? I think of him all the time, and when I do, I get a tingly feeling in my stomach. When I see him, my heart beats twice as fast. When I hear his voice, I have to bite my lip to contain a sigh of joy.

Is this what love feels like?

Am I in love with Jamie Wil-

"WAKE UP!" Megan crows in my ear.

I moan loudly.

"Megan, I appreciate that you are here to wake me up every morning, but could you please QUIET DOWN!" I start yelling towards the end.

Megan giggles and puts a finger to my lips.

"Shh. Who's the loud one now?" She sticks out her tongue.

"You are so immature." I roll my eyes. "What are you, four?"

"No, this is Four." Megan grabs her ears and stretches them, to achieve Four's sticky-out ears. She adjusts her mouth so it looks like she has Four's spare bottom lip. She then pulls a grumpy face. She looks like a monkey.

"Bah humbug. I'm so tough. If you touch Six I will break your rib cage." Megan puts on a deep voice.

I laugh, and then we get ready.

We go down to the Pit. I see a table with knives on it. There are target boards.

Throwing knives.

"Alright, if you haven't guessed already, we will be throwing knives." Four explains. "Sometimes you will be in a tough situation and you might not have a gun. You need to be taught how to use alternatives if you have any."

"This is good if your enemy is at a far distance. You need to have good aim, like with a gun." Six says. "Four will now demonstrate."

"Six, at the board." Four smiles.

"You got it." Six grins and she stands in front of the target.

Four lifts a knife from the table. Seconds later he chucks it at Six.

There are gasps around the room. It was so close to hitting her.

"I've been thinking of a haircut, care to assist me?" Six smirks. They must do this every year with the initiates.

"Very well." Four laughs and he throws a knife, which lands above Six's head.

"Now for the traditional ear chop." Six giggles.