Part 4

The next day, I woke up and saw that beside me, Aarya's tiny figure was still inside the blanket, clutching the pillow. Yawning, I sat up. For a minute, I was like "where the hell am I?". But then I realized I was in Mrs. Russo's mansion. Great. I headed to the bathroom, quickly changed into basketball shorts and a jersey, and was about to go downstairs for breakfast when I heard a knock on our door. It was one of the hagons. I asked him to come in.

"Hello, Miss Courtney. I'm FizzFire, your new hagon. Whenever you need something, just say my name twice and I'll be there!"

"What's for breakfast?", I asked, not caring so much. For a twelve year old, I should've been amazed, but nope.

"Whatever you would like."

"Well, do you have fried egg with no pepper and a glass of chocolate milk for me?"

Sure. I will get it in a minute."

FizzFire was about to leave when he turned and said, "So you are the new desire, eh?"

"Huh?"

He murmured something under his breathe and scampered away. 

After breakfast that morning, me and Aarya were showed our new house by FizzFire. Aarya had developed a great liking towards him. He was five foot six, a little too skinny for a gentleman and had dark brown eyes. His hair was a very confusing brown and he wore green robes with red dragon threadings. From his tall talks about the mansion, it was quite clear that he was proud of it. We were showed around the house. Finally, when we came to the attic, Aarya found something fascinating and disappeared. I was left alone with FizzFire. After 2 minutes of awkward silence, I said, "So. Can I call you Fizzy? Your name is too big."

"Sure. You are my master."

"Don't say that!", I said a little flushed. "So tell me more about this Mrs. Russo."

"Well, I don't think you would want to know."

"Why wouldn't I? She seems a magician to me. Dragons, defense plants, hagons, etc. What is all that about?"

"She must have told you that its a secret. Well, I'm not allowed to speak much, but let me tell you. You are right. She is a magician. And a very powerful one, mind you."

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

"What did you mean, desire?"

"Oh. Nothing."

"Tell me."

"Well, do not tell anyone I told you, but here. Everyday, Mrs.Russo prayed to God to get heirs. A good priest once told her that she needed successors in the world of magic. When she found you both, she though she had gotten what she wanted. The look in her eyes told us that you were desired."

"Is she evil?" I was starting to freak out.

"No, don't worry. She is very kind by heart, but once you trigger her anger, you are a dead girl."

"Whoa. Tell me more."

"I don't want my family to put flowers on my grave."

"Please?"

"Just remember that she isn't that sweet either. She has had many desires before. Not all were alive. Now you run along girl."

He added the last two sentences a little impatiently and he himself ran away. Strange.

In the evening, FizzFire told us that we were called by Mrs. Russo. We went downstairs and there she was on her giant sofa. "Hello, girls. What pretty faces!"

"Hey", both of us said in unison.

"So, having fun already?"

"Sure.", I replied.

She gave me a stop-being-rude look and turned towards Aarya. As if I cared. She had no authority to rule over me. She talked to Aarya, pulling her cheeks every now and then. Both of them got engrossed in sweet conversation. I just sat. Finally, after a boring hour, it was dinner time. We went to the dining room. Did I say dining room? Sorry, I meant the big big big room with a dragon-shaped table that seated about 20 people.

My curiosity took over and I asked, all in a rush, " What is WITH the dragons?"

"Oh, just a passion honey. Hope you don't mind?",replied Mrs. Russo.

"Uh-huh."

We sat for dinner. Mrs.Russo obviously took the head seat. Aarya was beside her and I sat at the far end. Both, Mrs.Russo and Aarya told me to come nearer.

"I'm fine. Anyway Mrs.Russo talks to Aarya more. I am better off alone."

"Aw honey, I'm sorry if you though you were overshadowed!", said Mrs.Russo.

I din't reply and quitely ate my dinner.

After dinner, Mrs.Russo told us that we were just in time to see one of her events. Every Friday, there was something called "Eradication" in her garden. What it was all about, she din't say. "Surprise" was our only clue.

Aarya and me headed towards the garden. It was decorated with bling glittery papers. There was a throne placed near a podium. Mrs.Russo was seated there. On the podium, a formal dressed hagon addressed to the audience. Audience? No, the hagons. There were about thousands of them. FizzFire showed us to the front row. We sat down quietly. After a brief introduction about us, the programme started. That is when I screamed and fainted.

Let me tell you now what exactly is "Eradication". Nothing much. It is just an event held every Friday where enemies of Mrs.Russo are mercilessly killed. Beheaded, suffocated, stabbed and EVERY possible thing. When the first enemy came, he was stabbed seven times in the stomach by Mrs.Russo.

The second, pelted with stones until he died. Another was chased around by four fierce dogs who tore at his flesh. One of them was forced to eat lasagne which had extra extra chilli and poison. Yes.

I'd fainted after all this. The procession was continued even after me fainting. Only when it had ended did anyone bother to check on me. I was given medicines and stuff. 

I was informed that Aarya, too, had fainted but recovered soon enough and was waiting for me. I ran to her and hugged her. We went to our room and cried in each others arms.

"Do not worry Aarya. I will get us out of this.", I murmured between sobs. She nodded slightly, and fell asleep. 

That night, I watched Aarya sleep. For me, the "Eradication" ceremony had not eradicated enemies, but sleep. I wasn't able to sleep a wink. I was too scared that Mrs.Russo would come at night and kill us. I imagined horrible stuff happening. It was very freaky. 

As I finally washed my face and was about to get into bed, I heard a knock on the door.

From the other side, someone said, "Let me in."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------