1 | Dead Witch

Kai Mikaelson

Blending into the crowd of a busy street in the French Quarter is not something I'll do voluntarily, but per Elijah's request here I am back to place where we once called home.

"Welcome to New Orleans, and the crown jewel of the Crescent city, the French Quarter. Jazz and jambalaya, romance, poetry, not to mention the things that go bump in the night. Monsters that feed off human blood, vengeful spirits of the dead, and my personal favorite, the witches. Here we have the voodoo shop, Jardin Gris. Go on, browse for a hex." The witch girl who I knew as Sabine recites as she directed the tourist to the voodoo shop, but the witch herself choose to stay outside.

"Elijah you literal son of a bitch" I muttered as I felt my brother's presence nearby.

"Are you going to continue following me, Elijah, or do you wanna talk? And tell your brother he can come out now" Sabine spoke as she steps toward to who I presume is my brother.

"You know who I am?" Elijah asked Sabine.

"Original vampire, always wears a suit. You-"Sabine replied but I cut her off.

"Finally, someone called out your choice of clothing brother." I interrupted seeing that there is no point in hiding. "Brother, Sabine, nice to see you this fine evening" I smirk as my gaze landed on my brother who is the reason why I am here in forsaken place.

"As I was saying, you and your family are famous amongst the witches, especially with your... brother back in town." Sabine added.

"Well, Niklaus is here because he learned that a witch was conspiring against him. Someone by the name of Jane-Anne Deveraux." Elijah explained.

"Well, if he's looking for Jane Anne, he's a little late." Sabine answered nonchalantly.

"Wait, what? You're telling us that this witch Jane-Anne is dead?" I exclaimed as I see no reason for me stay here any longer, being here only brings back memories I long wished to forget.

"Come on, her sister Sophie's gonna want to talk to you." Sabine muttered as she walked pass me.

"Am I expected to come to see this another witch that I do know?" I asked Elijah who about to follow Sabine.

He slightly turned to me only to say, "Yes you are." He smiled and started to follow Sabine.

"The things I do for this family" I mumbled shaking my head in the process and following my brother and the witch to talk to this another witch named Sophie.

~~~~~~~~~~

We arrived our few hundred meters away from the mourning witches who were surrounding a fallen body, whom I presumed as Jane-Anne, with a bloodied neck, that must've hurt. Flowers and candles surround the corpse, as another witch sits near their fallen friend, that must be her sister Sophie.

"That's Jane-Anne? Killed in public for anyone to find..." Elijah whispered as he watch the scene unfold in front of them.

"Only people that come around here are the witches. Now her sister has come to take her body. Her spirit can't rest until it's been properly interred in the cemetery." Sabine explained.

"Please tell me that our brother had nothing to do with this." Elijah requested looking at Sabine.

"No. Jane-Anne died because she got caught doing magic." Sabine replied.

"Okay you almost lost me there, what do you mean she got caught doing magic? You said it yourself only people that come around here are the witches." I stated when all of a sudden, a loud whistle can be heard from a distance.

"You wanna know who killed Jane-Anne? You're about to get your first glimpse of Marcel in action." Sabine stammered as a look of confusion down over me and brother's faces.

"The vampire Marcel?" I questioned.

"Things have changed since your family left town. Marcel has changed." Sabine's quaked as vampires approaches the witches gathered around Jane-Anne. "I'm asking you, stay hidden. If Marcel finds out that a witch lured the Originals back into town, my people will be slaughtered." She continued, worried for her life and her people.

"Time to go Kai" Elijah quietly ordered as we speed away to a nearby balcony.

~~~~~~~~~~

Standing in the balcony watching the scene unfold in front of our very eyes, Marcel who my brother brought up to the world of immortality, the same one who we thought died years ago Klaus' not gonna like this.

I was brought out of my thought when I heard the voice of our sister through Elijah's phone, "You mean to tell me, after all these years, Marcel is alive and well?"

"Quite. Our brother seems to have wandered into a war zone. And I haven't been able to find him. Marcel, who Klaus sired and brought up beneath his own wing, now rules a menagerie of savage vampires running wild, killing in public for any human to come upon. Witches are held in subjugation. I doubt Niklaus had any idea what he was walking into." Elijah explained.

Rebekah retorted "Sorry, what was that? I stopped paying attention at "our brother"."

I chucked standing next to Elijah, "Not the time Rebekah."

"Our hateful, traitorous bastard of a brother, who's negated any sympathy I once had for him by his repeated efforts to ensure neither you nor I know happiness outside of his own selfish universe." Rebekah explained, well I can never speak for my brother, but knowing him, there's a lot deeper reason behind daggering our siblings.

"Always and forever, Rebekah, that is what we once swore to each other." Elijah reasons out to our sister

"Consider this me calling take-backs."

I snatched the phone from Elijah, "Well, you've called take-backs dozens of times over the centuries and yet when our father found us and chased us from this very city..." I acknowledged with a shrug.

"I may be old, but I'm hardly senile. I know very well I stuck with Klaus, and not three years later he stuck a silver dagger in my chest and sent me into a magical slumber for ninety years. Do you know why? Because I had the audacity to try and live my life on my own without him." Rebekah defends from the other line.

Elijah signaled for his phone back and I hastily returned the device, "Enough. I believe our brother's in trouble, so whatever is going on between Marcel and the witches, it's dire enough that they'd risk bringing an Original back to town. The witches have lured him here, I'd like to know why." He then hangs up the phone turning to face me.

"Let get going, we have more business to attend to."