Chapter 9: Meet and Greet

"Guys I'm back." I called out.

No one replied. The TV was off and lunch was untouched. The room was silent.

"Hello? Guys?"

Then I saw a note on the table. It read:

Showing Dakota around town. Won't be back until 12:00. There's food on the table and you can watch some TV if you get bored.  --Logan

I looked at the clock. Sweet. I have 2 whole hours to myself. I flopped down onto the couch and turned on the TV.

"Good day folks!" a reporter said, "Today, we're hearing what some of the tributes have to say about the Hunger Games." He turned to a girl. "Hello miss. What district are you from? What's your name? How old are you? And how do you feel about the games?"

"8. I'm Zoey. I'm seventeen. And I hate the games." she replied curtly.

"Well you heard it first! Now back to you Richard."

"Thanks Harris. Now for your updates."

I turned off the TV. Nothing good was on.

I walked around the suite for a bit until that got boring. Maybe I should go downstairs and meet some of the other tributes. I didn't have anything better to do, so I just took the elevator down to the lobby.

In the room, there were five tributes. One girl, probably only twelve years old, was crying in the corner. She was being comforted by a boy (most likely from the same district). I didn't want to embarrass the girl, so I went over to a girl with pink, round, thick rimmed nerd glasses.

They aren't the cool nerd glasses, these were the totally nerdy glasses. Her orange hair was pulled into two extremely messy ponytails. And she had braces that couldn't fix her buck teeth.

She turned around. She grabbed my hand and nearly yanked it out of its socket as she shook so hard. "Ow. Ow. Ow. Easy on the hand." I objected.

"Hi!" she sniffed. "I'm Betty Gene! I think Nelson McGhee is so hot! How about you?"

"One: I'm Holly. Two: I have no idea who Nelson is. And Three: Are you socially awkward or something?" I know the last bit was a bit rude, but after your arm is almost tugged apart, you're not going to be a happy camper.

"That boy, with the short greasy hair." she pointed. "He's picking his nose right now. Gosh, he's so handsome." She must have a one track mind on Nelson.

"You like a guy who picks his nose?"

"Nelson picks his nose so well! I've collected 33 of his boogers. See?" she said happily. And she just had to show me the jar.

"You know what? You can continue you looking at Nelson. I'm going to go meet the other tributes."

She looked so shocked. "You're going to stop watching Nelson?"

"Yeah. I have a life."

Then Dakota and Logan entered. Thank goodness they were here. "Betty, my friends want me. I've got to go."

I joined them in the elevator. Logan scoffed, "Out of all the tributes, you decided to talk to Betty?"

"Oh shut up."