Chapter 16: Entering the Games

Peacekeepers were in the lobby and blindfolded tribute after tribute and led them to a van. I was the last tribute to be blindfolded.

I felt the van drive for ages until I was guided off. Gwen let me know that we were alone. She pulled off the blindfold. We were in a pretty plain room with a tube that she told me would lift me into the arena.

I was given a parka and woolen pants. It finally hit me, 'white against red'. Ice/snow was white, covered in red, which is blood. "We're going to be in a tundra, aren't we?"

"No, a taiga. There's more wildlife in taigas."

"Will you watch me?"

"Yeah, I'll be in my room, seeing whatever is on the cameras."

"There are cameras?"

"Almost everywhere."

"What will happen after the games?" I asked.

"Oh, the game-makers said they'd turn this into a tourist destination for Capitol people."

She made final adjustments. A little alarm started ringing. "That's your cue, good luck." She pushed me into the elevator tube.

Harsh wind blasted my face. The other tributes rose. On a loud speaker, they announced, "There are land mines all around you. The slightest touch will set them off."

Remember that suicidal guy from District 8? He jumped off his pedestal the moment those words were spoken. I won't go into detail about what it looked like. It was gruesome. Lots of tributes either flinched or looked away.

"See? That's the example. Now we'll shut off the mines once the countdown has finished. 5...4...3...2...1!"

The games have begun. I hope I'm ready.