Chapter Eleven

I'm not even sure yet. That's why I came back. I couldn't even begin to guess what he meant by that. I crossed my arms and tilted my head.

"Why did you possess me, then?"

"It was for your own safety. I gave you some of my power in case I couldn't come to your rescue."

"What the...are you my prince in shinning armor now!? God. This is just hilarious. You coming to my fuckin rescue?"

I laughed in his gross, pale face. He raised his shoulders and angled his face downward as I mocked him.

"Now you don't have anything to say? What a pathetic loser of a demon you are. Maybe that's why demons and humans don't get along! Could it be... we humans are stronger than you guys!?"

"You seem hungry. I have some blood in the fridge for you."

Trance stood up and stormed over to the tiny refrigerator in the corner of the room. He yanked open the door and snatched a red solo cup from the stack sitting next to it on a table. Pouring the blood, I couldn't see his expression. I was kind of glad too. He didn't seem to be a happy camper.

Trance pulled his bowler hat down to avoid eye contact and handed me the cup. I swirled the blood inside like a wine connoisseur does to their drink for whatever reason they do. My lips touched the rim of the plastic.

"Did you poison this?"

"What?"

"Are you trying to drug me or something? I made you mad, and your response was to make me a drink. A little sus if you ask me."

Trance gave himself a light face palm.

"Fine. I'll drink some in front of you to prove it's not poisoned."

He snatched the cup from my hands and held it up to his nose.

"Smells like blood..."

Trance took a sip and gagged. The blood sprayed out of his mouth all over my front side.

"Don't drink it!"

He ran to grab a wet towel and wiped my face. I felt like a defenseless baby that spilled food all over its own face.

"I know why you had a crazy reaction to this blood. It's human blood. I went to a butcher shop for humans and demons. But I ordered pig blood...no wonder demons love it there..."

After he wiped my face clean, I left him to do some thinking. A butcher shop killing humans? A thought came to mind.

"How would a butcher shop get humans? Wouldn't people know if something fishy was going on?"

Trance's head snapped up to look at me.

"I believe that there's been a lot more people missing lately. Maybe the butcher is selling human meat under animal names..."

"That would be...sick."

"Scarlet, people are sick...demons are sick too."

Trance lifted the hat off of his head and took a slight bow.

"Captain Scarlet, are you ready to go kick some ass?"

"Does it matter if there's no demon involved?"

"It's a butcher shop that serves humans and demons. I guess you used up too much of your brain power."

I slapped his arm and started laughing.

"Shut up!"

Trance broke out a horrific smile of yellowed, sharp teeth that froze the blood in my veins.

"Don't ever smile in public...ever."

"Why!?"

"Just trust me."

His face returned to normal, which was the signature smart aleck smirk.

***

Many small shops lined a packed street in a market block. Alleyways leading to the darker side of things. But out in the open was jewelry, clothing, restaurants, toys, candy. Almost anything you could imagine.

A middle-aged man was separated from his daughter. In searching for her, he came across a butcher shop. The man at the front called out to him.

"Are you lost? Is there anything I could help you with?"

A genuine smile spread across the butcher's face. A slight tilt of the head.

The father rubbed his face from exhaustion.

"I lost my daughter. She has long, black hair with a pink bow. And she's wearing a dress with little flowers on them. Have you seen her?"

The butcher gasped.

"I have her in the back! I caught her wandering around in front of my shop, so I took her in. I'll take you to her."

The father collapsed. He wiped the silent tears from his face before standing up. The butcher offered his hand and pulled the man to his feet.

"Thank you so much! I don't know what I would've done without your help. I...I lost my wife two years ago to an accident so all I have left is my daughter. Thank you."

The butcher sighed from relief.

"I'm glad I could help. Now let's reunite the two of you! Can't keep her waiting for too long, shall we?"

He held open the door for the healthy man. The father's large feet clomped on the floor as they walked to the back. Freezing air crawled up the father's skin. Dark halls led to an unknown destination, where his daughter waited.

They reached a metal door.

"Go on in. She's waiting inside."

The butcher's smile grew wider as the man reached for the handle. He pushed the door open and was met by a strange set of glowing, green eyes.

The father was pushed further into the room by the butcher. The strange eyes belonged to someone he couldn't see. They were chanting in a weird language he had never heard.

His hands turned to hooves. The hair on his head fell to the cold floor. All limbs were shrinking and reshaping. A set of floppy ears and matching snout sprouted out of his head. Finally, a tiny, curled tail popped out of his back.

SQUEEAAAL!!!

"Come here...piggy piggy."