XII - Day One

Perhaps because none of them really knew when to speak, how to act, or what to feel, the trip to Arxan was nothing but tiring and uninteresting. Wang He Di made sure Shen Yue was alright the whole time by asking her every now and then if she needed anything, and of course she would politely reply that she was fine, but in reality, they both knew they were just too anxious to try and start a conversation.

He stopped the car at the foot of the inn's gated entrance in the early afternoon. After he killed the ignition, he saw that she was deep into a slumber, and for a minute he just focused on her. Her angelic face has always been a haven for him. Even when those eyelids were closed, he was aware of how powerful her eyes could be; the ridge of her nose is like a slippery slope, one that he would gladly ride to land on her pinkish lips. He slowly touched her face and smiled to himself before slightly patting her arm to rouse her.

After getting out of the car, they were immediately greeted by the harsh remnants of a chilly winter cold, and he was suddenly grateful to have brought thick layers of jacket. It was still unbearably cold, which was evident in the way Yueyue's nose turned red as they were treading up the stairs made of wooden planks that led to the inn. Somehow though, he felt a growing warm tingle inside of him as they neared the place where they shared so many good memories together.

He tried to examine how she was reacting to being thrust back in such a nostalgic environment, but she posed nothing but a stone cold expression all the way through the doorway of the inn.

When they entered though, he saw how instantaneously her facial appearance changed: it went from blank to gleeful. And it was genuine, too. She hugged everyone she knew with excitement, and introduced herself merrily to those whose faces she deemed new. God, she was so lovable. He thought.

After settling in their things in their original lodgings when they taped the show (the Mayor said they really prepared the rooms once they got the confirmation that they were coming), and catching up with everyone for the rest of the afternoon, they were served with a literal feast for dinner.

The atmosphere was so joyous that everyone just assumed that everything was fine between them. It wasn't until they all had full and fulfilled stomachs that one of the older staff of the inn asked, "So when are you guys getting married?"

After that was said, the room abruptly started oozing with tension and nervous smiles, but no one knew why. It was like when you open the door to a place you hadn't been to before, even if you were well-acquianted with most of the persons inside. The dining area was suddenly filled with careful anticipation.

"Yeah about that, uhm, we actually broke up," Didi casually answered. "It was months ago, really, and we're okay now. And we really missed all of you so... how about that game huh?"

Everyone was quick to catch on that cue. A new topic was immediately floated, and soon, the room was once again filled with booming laughters and insightful conversations. It was beautiful.

Didi and Yueyue volunteered to help with washing the dishes but ultimately were forbidden to do any kind of house chore from that point forward because they were "special guests."

So the night fell deeper, and as everyone gathered in the living room after playing a couple of games, the Mayor's wife remembered that Yueyue just very recently celebrated her birthday. Despite her fierce disapproval, they brought out a cake that was reserved for tomorrow's special occasion (it was coincidentally the Mayor and her wife's 50th wedding anniversary), put a candle on top of it and let her blew it.

Then, someone suggested that they all voice their well-wishes for Yueyue, who once again felt the most intense embarrassment for being the center of attention of such a tightly-knit group of people, but in the end, she let them be.