XIII - Day Two

The next day was a busy one, with everyone helping in the preparations for the Mayor and his wife's golden wedding anniversary.

The gathering wasn't really meant to be a huge one, it was just a way to celebrate the couple's loyalty and love for each other. But the little festivity grew into something a little more grand, thanks to the attendance of Yueyue and Didi.

Shen Yue looked around her, noticing how energetically everyone worked to finish the individual tasks that they were assigned to do. Although this particular event posed no pressure to successfully pull off unlike when they organized Boss Wang Ke and Wu Yi's birthday celebration at the inn a few years back, people working together to cook meals and work on the decorations still reminded her of good, old times.

As the late afternoon wore on, she decided to take a break from being "in-charge" of the decorations to get some water, but upon reaching the kitchen, she was halted by a lovely sight: Didi, wearing an apron, happily playing the chef role once again like an animal in his natural habitat.

She had always felt fortunate to be served with all his signature dishes, and in fact, he was a huge reason why she wanted to be better at cooking. And he encouraged her, even gave her valuable tips and sometimes, actual lessons, which she loved. His acts of selflessness like that is one of the main reasons why she fell in love with him more.

Since she must have been frozen on the same spot for longer than acceptable, because someone subtly whispered on her ear, "Just like old times, huh?"

She turned sideways to find the Mayor's wife standing beside her, gaze focused on Didi's direction. "He's gotten even better now. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's trying to show off," the old woman said before winking at her and handing over a bottle of water to her.

Yueyue's lips formed a strained smile before taking one last look at Didi and turning around to leave.

***

As the night fell, so did the celebration turned into merriment. Everyone had high spirits, partly because of the overwhelming display of love by the golden couple (which was very unusual given the Mayor's quiet persona), and partly because of the booze. Everyone indulged as if this was the last party they would hold in years (and it probably was).

Yue was one of those who drank way too early, so as they entered the 21st hour of the day, she felt her head spinning around already. She knew she had to excuse herself and get a good night's rest before she humiliated herself in front of the guests.

She walked towards her room trying desperately to walk in a straight line when she made out a figure of someone sweeping the snow from the wooden planks. Of course she thought she was hallucinating because of her drukenness, so she decided to come have a closer look.

It was Wang He Di.

As if on cue, he turned around and startled her, causing her to slip and land butt-first on the snow-capped ground.

He smirked before saying, "That," then he moved closer to her and helped her get back on her feet, "is what I'm trying to avoid that's why I'm doing this."

"I thought you just wanted a trip down memory lane," she beamed, teeth all out and eyes closed.

"I think I've had enough of that the moment we stepped back into the inn's premises," he replied before taking a glance at the indoor bash. "I think this can wait. Come."