II - Ten Meters

Xiao Wen witnessed the drastic change in Shen Yue's facial expression when her gaze shifted to someone she evidently didn't expect to see in the crowd.

Her lips that were previously curled in a smile became tightly pursed as her eyes quickly turned away. It seemed to Xiao Wen that her best gal pal would have gladly covered her face or run away if she only could. She instantly looked to her with a stare that she thought was very alarming.

Of course Xiao Wen knew her best friend very well, but she couldn't help but panic that what if—just what if—by some silly humor of fate, he was there. But she quickly dismissed the idea and calmed herself with the thought that she was 101% certain every single person in the room was personally invited by her. Obviously, he did not make the list.

She went over to Yueyue, pulled her to the side of the stage and whispered to her ear. "Are you okay?"

"What do you mean?! Why is he here?"

"What, who?" Xiao Wen asked, suddenly nervous.

"You know who," Yueyue said sternly.

"Voldemort?" Xiao Wen tried to joke.

Yueyue leaned closer to Xiao Wen's ear and told her, "I am not doing this. Do not make me do this."

Xiao Wen sighed. "Alright, just read something else then."

"I don't have anything else!"

They've been talking for almost a minute and the people were obviously starting to think something was up. It was awkwardly quiet, and Xiao Wen knew she needed to think of a solution before this thing spiraled out of control.

"Okay! How about we just play a game?" she asked the crowd.

The problem would have been solved if Sun Ning didn't shout "after she reads the poem!" which prompted the other guests (who were still very curious about the poem) to disagree with her plan.

Yueyue was taking deep breaths and trying to smile at the same time. It was only then that it became clear to Xiao Wen that the poem must be about him or them that's why she suddenly didn't want to read it. She was now more determined than ever to help her best friend get out the mess that she got her into.

"I'll just sing, I haven't given her my present yet. I'm sure my singing is more interesting than her poem, right?"

But another person from the crowd yelled "just let the birthday girl shine!" to her disappointment.

She tried about five more alternatives but they all wanted Yueyue to read the poem. It was a hopeless case, Xiao Wen thought. But she didn't have the heart to ask her friend to continue reading it because she knew better than to watch her torture herself like that.

When she was about to present yet another option, Yueyue stopped her by the arm and announced that she'll just read the poem so that "everybody may finally shut up."

Xiao Wen looked at her and she noticed the resigned look in her eyes that seemed to say 'I'll be alright.' She looked like she just wanted to get through with it so that they can all go back to the merry celebration that this party was supposed to be in the first place.

"Alright then. You have the stage," she said, cuing Yueyue's impromptu recital.

Xiao Wen got down from the mini stage and sat nearby. She wanted to be close in case Yueyue broke down or decided she just couldn't do it. She knew a disaster was brewing and she was disappointed she couldn't do anything to stop it from happening. She sat the edge of her seat, anticipating nothing but the end of this horrible mess she got Yueyue into. She was guilty and she was ready to make up for the wound she unintentionally opened.