Part 5 - Emotion please

"where the hell have you been?!", Benjamin was hovering over Emily's locker as she slipped of her shoes.

"I had a sore head" Emily grabbed the her skates from her locker and threw in her converse. "for a whole two weeks?!", Benjamin raised one of his eyebrows in disbelief "yea, i fell".

She stood up with determination ready to get on the ice, "it's been rough".

Benjamin laughed and shut her locker, "whatever you say Em".

Benjamin and Emily have been friends for years, before they first met their relationship was online and when they are together they're like siblings. It was comforting for Emily to be called 'Em', it brought a comforting relief.

"So does this mean you're skating is going to need some work?" Benjamin was slouched over the ice rinks barriers. "Well you'll just have to wait and see", Emily skated out into the middle of the rink and shook her arms to get the blood flowing to her hands.

"You want a song?" Benjamin shouted. "Yea, surprise me", He scrolled through his phone looking for an emotional song.

If there was one thing that Emily lacked in her dancing, it was emotion, she always got so stressed about landing jumps or getting accurate timing that she didn't let herself go, she didn't let the music run through her body in the right way. It was something Benjamin (being the professional) always nagged on about, the dance wasn't right if the dancer wasn't connected but when Emily did show emotion it was ...powerful, extremely powerful, to the point where tears could roll down her cheek and she wouldn't even realise because she was so lost in emotion, numb to the outside world.

"Benji, hurry up, it's not exactly warm here", She tapped the ice with the tip of her shoe in attempt to warm her toes. "Emotion, please" his smile was begging for what he wanted to see. "fine" she rolled her eyes and circled around the ice waiting for the song.

A familiar piano riff circled the rink, she took a deep breath and held it, she closed her eyes and waited for the singers voice to roll out of the speakers. 

A husky British voice moved straight from her ears and shot her in her heart, it was Harry. Emily let go of the breath she was holding and moved to his slow, soothing voice.

Benjamin immediately noticed a difference in her dancing, the curves she scraped into the ice were deep and meaningful, the music carried her like a wave, her turns were sharp and quick but then instantly melted back into the song. Her emotion was pouring out of her like he had never seen before. Her hands shaped all of her feelings and her breathing was patterned, it was with the song, like she was gasping for air.

Emily was weeping on the inside, was all of this emotion being bottled up by Jake? Wherever it was coming from she was a stranger to it. 

She danced her heart out and the marks on the ice were like handwriting you would find on an old love letter. As the song came to a slow end she had an overwhelming feeling of drowning wash over her, she paused in the silence and let herself sink in her own breath.

Silence was the perfect way to end the song, her eyes were closed as she gathered the feeling that she scattered all over the ice back into her body.

"Holy shit!"

Emily snapped herself out of her peaceful suffering and back into the ice rink filled with the sound of Benjamins clapping. "Where the fuck were you hiding all of that", Emily looked down at her shaking hands "i..i don't know".

They were sat in front of each other on a small coffee table next to the ice. Emily loved the way the ice rink felt early in the morning when nobody was there, it gave Emily and Benjamin time to practice for themselves before their pupils arrived.

There were three groups in there skating team, the 'bronze set' were the younger ones or the beginners, their leotard was white and they were the ones who would usually arrive first. The middle set were named the 'silver set', they had a red leotard and they were actually very advanced for a middle group and finally the 'gold set', they were the highest set in the team, they wore a dark/navy blue uniform and that's where Emily and Benjamin danced but their mane job in the team was to teach the bronze and silver sets as well as making choreography. 

"Em you should really start doing competitions again, i don't think i've seen anyone dance like that even at internationals" she played with her bottle of water in her hands as she thought about going back to doing what she wanted. "maybe", Benjamin looked up at her light ocean eyes darkened by the rich brunette hair that hung over her face.

"What is up with you today?" she tilted up her head to look Benjamin with a concerned look across his face. "What do you mean?" he sat back and sighed.

"Did something happen between you and Jake?", Emily groaned and buried her head in both of her hands. "I ran away from him and now he has the apartment that I paid for with all of my belongings and i can't go back because he will probably lock me up forever!" 

Benjamin watched her head fall into arms as she brought her knees up to her face, he knew she was exaggerating that last part but it just showed how run down and tired she really felt. "I can go to your apartment if you want?"

Emily looked up with bloodshot eyes, "you're being serious?!". Benjamin stood up and pushed his chair with the back of his knees. "Yea, you don't even have to come, i could pretend to be some guy selling newspapers or something  and knock on your door, if he isn't in I use your key to unlock the door. I'll move all of his stuff outside and wait for him to come back to find himself kicked out and he can't break down the door because i will lock it and you're neighbours would probably stop him or call the cops. Which leaves you safe and Jake out of the picture!"

As crazy as it seemed Emily was intrigued. "I can't believe im saying this but.. im in", Benjamin was buzzing, finally the day has come, Emily's really standing up against this selfish jerk who has done nothing but brought her misery.

A smile crept over emily's face and a wave of excitement stuck her broken heart.

Benjamin pulled her into a tight hug and lifted her feet off of the floor, "I'm so proud of you Em", Emily tightened her grip around benjamin as she let out a little excited squeal, "i'm really doing this, wow".

"Miss Jackson?" 

A small voice called on Emily, she looked down to see on of her pupils with all hear gear on from the bronze set. Her blonde hair was in bunches tied with pink scrunchies and a pink tootoo over her white leotard. "I wanted to get here earlier and ask if you would help me with my class performance?". 

Benjamin let Emily out of his grip, "oh, of course, you were dancing to Meghan trainor weren't you?", the little girls hair bounced as she nodded. "Benji can you get the song up please?".

At that point Emily and Benjamin's attention was only focused on their pupils for the rest of the day but there was a small spring in her step for their little plan, and ..butterflies, from dancing to Harry's voice.