hiding in plain sight

A/N: I just wanna send a huge 'THANK YOU' to everyone who's voting and commenting on this story. It helps spread the story to more viewers, so thanks, everybody!!!

_______________________

ᒪᗩƳᒪᗩ

ᗴᗩᖇᒪƳ ᒎᗩᑎᑌᗩᖇƳ
ᖇᗴᗪᗝᑎᗪᗝ ᗷᗴᗩᑕᕼ, ᑕᗩ

❤️

"Come on, Lay. The producers keep calling me. They need a final confirmation on whether you're going or not," Macie Briggs, my best friend since childhood, and personal assistant, said as I cracked another egg into a bowl.

The two of us were in the middle of my parent's kitchen and as I set the bowl under the electronic mixer, I looked over at Macie, who was scrolling on her iPad.

"I don't know, Mace. I mean... all anybody is gonna be asking me about on the red carpet is Shawn and I'm just not ready for any of that yet. It's barely been a week and a half."

I picked up my mug of coffee and inhaled deeply before taking a sip.

"But it's the Golden Globes and your song's nominated for best original score in a movie! You can't not go!" Macie countered and I had to smirk in appreciation of her tenacity.

"Nice try, babes, but let's be real... Zendaya killed it with her remake of 'Part of Your World' and 'The Little Mermaid' was too huge in theatres not to win," I said, rationalizing. One of my songs had been used for the latest 007 movie, but people had been obsessed with Zendaya, the new Ariel's, song, so this year I was more than happy to stay home. If I won, I'd let my producer accept on my behalf. 

"Well, there's always next year," Macie said confidently as I grabbed the bowl of now mixed batter.

After grabbing the prepared cupcake sheets I had already set out, I began to fill each of the small paper cups with the pink batter, leaving enough room for the dough to rise.

"Yeah," I said, licking my thumb before grabbing the trays and heading towards the oven.

"You know he called..." she said as I set the trays in the preheated oven. I froze for a moment before looking over my shoulder at her and closing the oven.

"Figures he'd get a hold of someone by now," I said rolling my eyes.

"Look, Lay, you're my bestie and I'm always on your side, so I'm not gonna give him your new number, but, babes... you have to at least talk to him at some point."