Catching Up

“Just hold me, please.” The dying King pleaded and Merlin clenched his teeth. “There’s something I want to say...”
“You’re not going to say goodbye,” Merlin whispered brokenly.
Arthur shook his head, “No, Merlin… Everything you've done. I know now. For me, for Camelot. For the kingdom you helped me build…”
Merlin smiled down at him, “you’d have done it without me.”
The joke made Arthur smile and he grinned at his warlock, “Maybe. I want to say...something I've never said to you before…” Arthur couldn’t hold on much longer. The blonde took a steady breath and built up his courage, “I love you.”
Merlin choked and held his king tighter, “I love you to. So don’t be a prat and stay with me.” Arthur’s hand that had been holding onto Merlin went limp. “Arthur? Arthur! Stay with me!” Merlin felt for a pulse but felt nothing, “Arthur! Arthur. Come on,” Merlin tried to move but Arthur trapped him to the ground. “ARTHUR!”

Gwaine was sitting across from his girlfriend Morgana when it happened. A sharp pain, almost like a slap, hit the private investigator so hard he fell out of his chair. Across from him his date rushed to his side as he let out a groan before passing out. The restaurant staff ran over to the couple calling an ambulance for the man.

In the bakery a few blocks away Guinevere and Lancelot De Lac, were in Gwen's family bakery that she had taken over. Lancelot had just gotten back from work and was laughing when the pain hit them as well. A customer called for help when they fell to the ground from the pain. 

They weren't the only ones affected by the strange feeling. Guinevere's brother Elyan and his fiancee Sefa both doubled over on their way back from a football game. Then there was a famous football player Percival, who passed out not far from where Elyan and Sefa were. Plus there was Morgana's best friend Mordred and her brother Arthur who were going about their day when they collapsed. 

Arthur was in a meeting when he felt like all the air was taken from his lungs. Mordred, who was taking notes and Leon, Arthur's best friend, was listening to Arthur when all three of them collapsed from the pain. Another from the meeting quickly pulled out their cell phone to call the police. Across the city in a building quite like their own, Leon's girlfriend, head of their opposing business and her partner Elena collapsed in a fit of pain.

Now you may be wondering why those select few were chosen... Why they collapsed. Well, when all of your memories from a past life come at once, it's overwhelming. However the fates could no longer wait, for Albion's darkest hour had come. The world needed the legends of old to come and help bring back an old, old soul.

Arthur woke up in a hospital and the first thing he saw was Gwaine leaning over him. "Rise and shine princess!" 
Arthur let out a low groan, " you know being reborn in a new time I thought I wouldn't have to deal with you. I thought I could be happy because I wouldn't see you again, and yet here you are, Sir Gwaine."
Gwaine laughed, "wow! Merlin wasn't kidding, you really do hate waking up. I always thought he was being overdramatic, I should have known better."
The name of Arthur's closest friend made him shoot up out of bed. "Is he HERE?"

The PI shook his head, " he's the only one… we have a lot of people back though. I don't know what happened after Camlann. And I know you don't since we both died, but how about you hurry and we can talk to the others. Hopefully he got his memories back and didn't even need a hospital."
Arthur jumped out of the bed and walked over to the door just as the nurse came in. "Oh! Good you're awake, I do believe you all have a lot to talk about."
The Once and Future King paused and his eyes widened, "Alice? Is your name Alice?" The woman gave him a small nod before breaking out into a grin.
"It's good that you're back my King, my husband will be pleased. Now hurry I don't think that the Old Religion gave you your memories for nothing."