3. | The Hanged Man

A FEW DAYS later over a very tense breakfast my mother put her teacup down with more force than necessary, making the porcelain saucer protest with a sharp clattering noise.

"I don't understand," She began, rubbing small circles around on her temples. "Shouldn't have Odette's familiar come to her by now? It's been days. How long does her familiar need to get here?"

My father set his newspaper down and after a large sip of coffee he patiently answered her, "However long it needs to. Henrik is more than likely right- Odette may have a familiar that can't travel as quickly as a bird."

"But people are beginning to talk Gregory, her familiar needs to make itself known and fast." Her kestrel Greer, let out a high call from her perch behind my mother's left shoulder, as if she were agreeing with her.

My father lightly pinched the bridge of his nose, "Anna, you know very well these things shouldn't be rushed. If Odette had an avian familiar, it would've come the night of her summoning. Clearly, she doesn't."

Before my mother could respond, Elora chimed in, her raven, Ferdinand, ruffled his feathers on his position behind her on the back of her chair. "Or she doesn't have one at all, which wouldn't be surprising given that she's-"

"Elora, that's enough," My father's face was drawn tightly as he stared at my sister from the head of the table as if he were willing her to be quiet.

Boyd stopped chewing and glanced between Elora and our father, his brows furrowed and his face uncharacteristically serious. "Is everything okay?" His head continued to flick back and forth as the silence between my sister and father became more prominent.

"Stop it you two." My mother rapped her knuckles on the table once to get their attention. "Elora, you will keep your opinions to yourself. Do I make myself clear?" She raised her brows at my sister, demanding a response.

"Yes," Elora glared down at her bowl of fruit and stabbed a piece of cantaloupe with more force than what was needed.

The atmosphere in the room was strained and the negative energy radiating from my parents and Elora became almost palpable as we all continued through breakfast. Boyd was the only one seemingly oblivious to the change in the moods of those in the room as he nicked another slice of toast from the rack and munched happily.

I pushed my now soggy cereal around the bowl, my stomach in knots and no longer hungry. With an apology I stood and excused myself, claiming I was full and planned to go out.

"Where are you going? You should stay here in case your familiar is close. It wouldn't be wise to have you running amuck, confusing the poor creature on where to find you." My father frowned and my mother silently glared.

"If I'm in town for a while it shouldn't affect the animal too much. If anything, I'm sure it'll divert its course time wise but nothing more than that." I needed to get away from the high tension engulfing the household and my mother's constant sour expressions.

My father was silent for a moment then sighed, "Alright you may go but," he held up his finger, "be back around noon. Wendell is coming to call on Elora, and he's staying for dinner."

I agreed, though entirely not sure why I had to be here when Elora's fiancé was coming to see her, not me. When he did dismiss me, I quickly headed upstairs to change, Lenny helping zip the back of my blouse before working on my hair. She had just finished as I finally buttoned and righted my skirt, the waist catching on the stockings underneath it. I grunted impatiently and fixed both pieces of clothing until they were properly situated.

Lenny picked out my sturdiest pair of boots, ones I wore for being on my feet for extended periods. They were well worn and comfortable.
I quickly slipped them on and laced them up, the outdoors whispering its freedom.