I SUNRISE

Grian sat up in his bed and rubbed his forehead, calming a splitting headache. All he could think of were the events of yesterday.

Why did I have to do that?

Slowly, he got up and headed downstairs. Professor Beak was gently cooing in his cage. He greeted him and headed to his desk. Soft golden hues decorated his cozy home.
One hand holding his head, he slipped out a peice of paper and began to write.

Dear journal, yesterday I made a big mistake. I may or may not have broken my zombie spawner. Not like destroyed, but the containment area is not good. I tried to hop in and place a torch, but I only ended up burning myself and dropping it into the water. My arm is still chafed from the burn but hopefully I can go back and patch up the hole today.

He shoved the paper into a leather cover, other days' work filling the empty space.

"Okay professor, it's now or never." He said, a little nervous.

Grian picked up his flimsy stone sword and a lighter. He grabbed some wood for torches and stuffed them in his dusty blue bag.

~~~

Nearing the end of the cobble tunnel, Grian could hear the groans of the zombies. The louder they grew, his stomach twisted more and more.

I wish scar or mumbo were here to help me. Oh, I'll send him a message once I get back.

He set his bag and the sword on the ground and pulled out half the wood and lit one. He steadied his breathing and went for it.

Here we go!

Grian swiftly plunged into the icy cave water, making sure not to get the planks wet. It stung at first, but he was able to position one torch by the exit.

He waded through the water to the next wall and placed another. He released his breath he was holding out of fear.

Okay, just a couple more, then we can go write to mumbo. Everything's fine.

A sizzling noise interrupted his monologue. He slowly turned around. Grian saw grimy eyes in the darkness.

Oh, no.

I should have grabbed that sword.