Chapter Five

Chapter Five | Communicating

[Narrator]    

The sun slowly ascended on the horizon, painting the sky with a fresh, delicate shade of light blue. Nestled within the depths of the forest, Ninelie made her way towards a towering wall, her steps accompanied by the gentle rustling of leaves underfoot.

     "5:49 a.m.," she murmured to herself, peering up at the sky. 

The weather was pleasantly cool, not chilly enough to warrant a jacket. Ninelie couldn't help but appreciate the promising day ahead, though it also made her wonder if she had arrived too early.

   'Am I the only one here?' Ninelie turned around,  scanning the forest cautiously. Her gaze searched for any sign of her companion, Ray. "Oh, of course. He must be hiding somewhere already," she mused, deciding not to search for him and settled into a waiting position.

With that, she decided not to look for her accomplice since.

While waiting for time to pass, Ninelie walked by the wall. Letting her hands touch as she ambled back and forth.

While she waited, Ninelie strolled along the wall, her fingertips lightly grazing its imposing surface as she contemplated their plan. 'There aren't any ladders or platforms... it'd be impossible to climb over this wall after all. Unless—' she stopped in her steps, interrupted by a familiar voice.

   "Taking tablecloths was a genius idea, Norman."

Ninelie crouched down and peered through the leaves of the bushes, carefully observing the duo she had been tailing. 'They really came here,' she thought, recalling Ray's earlier suspicion.

     "We can use this as a rope," Norman replied, holding a white tablecloth in his hands. Emma skillfully climbed a nearby tree and secreted the tablecloths within a hollow in the trunk. As they discussed their plans, Ninelie strained to hear their conversation, but their voices were too faint.

     "Now to tackle the bigger issues." Norman started.

Emma nodded at him, "Finding the transmitters."

     "And formulating a plan to get us all out," Norman added.

Ninelie's eyes widened, 'That reminds me...'

She looked around to see where he was at the moment. Her gaze stopped on a wisp of raven-colored hair peeking out from behind a tree not far from Emma and Norman.