Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen | Difficulties

[Narrator]      

Ninelie's morning started in misery as she hovered over the toilet bowl, her face strained with discomfort. Her body seemed to be revolting against her, and she could feel the urge to vomit building up once again. Her pale complexion and weary eyes revealed the toll her illness was taking on her.

As she knelt there, a disturbing realization struck her—she had forgotten to take her medicine the previous day, and now she was paying the price. Blood trickled from her nose, a grim testament to her deteriorating condition. Her chest throbbed, forcing her to lean further over the toilet, unable to suppress the urge to vomit.

Hackles of fear and pain mixed together, Ninelie couldn't keep her suffering silent. Each retch seemed to produce more blood, an alarming sight for anyone, but especially in the early hours of the morning when everyone else was still fast asleep and the sun had yet to rise.

She managed to compose herself eventually. Rising shakily, she stumbled to the sink, washing away the traces of blood from her mouth and hands. Flushing the toilet, the crimson liquid was replaced by clear water, bringing some relief.

Ninelie's reflection in the mirror looked like a portrait of misery and illness.

She exited the bathroom with great care, shutting the door silently, not wanting to disturb anyone. Her priority was to take her medicine from the infirmary, but a sudden realization dawned on her—she needed to eat first for the medicine to be effective.

Her heart set on bread, Ninelie made her way to the dining area, a faint hope of finding some leftovers. "Bread, bread~" she sang, searching through the cupboards. Her eyes lit up when she found a small loaf wrapped in brown parchment paper, like a hidden treasure.

Tearing open the wrapper, she wasted no time taking a bite of the bread. It was cold, but her hunger was stronger than any discomfort. In less than a minute, she devoured the entire loaf, her throat feeling parched from the dry bread.

With her thirst quenched, she filled a cup with water and finally proceeded to the infirmary to take her medicine. Making sure she followed the proper procedure this time, she swallowed the pills with the hope that they would alleviate her suffering.

Feeling the exhaustion engulfing her, Ninelie returned upstairs to her bedroom, craving more sleep. She knew she needed all the rest she could get to recover from this dreadful morning ordeal.