Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six | Prison Escape

[Narrator]   

Amidst the hushed stillness of the darkened surroundings, Emma's fingers delicately clasped a solitary matchstick. A sense of anticipation hung heavy in the air, as if the universe itself held its breath in suspense. With a deliberate flick of her wrist, a minuscule spark ignited, casting an ephemeral glow that danced upon her face like a ghostly veil. "It's time to begin; Norman—Nina." 

The matchstick, touched by her fingertips, descended gracefully to meet the earth below. As it made contact, a fervent transformation began, flames eagerly lapping at the offering, igniting a mesmerizing tapestry of warmth and light.

Yet, within this ethereal display, there was a palpable tension that trembled upon the edges of reality. Emma's breath caught in her throat, her chest rising and falling in a rhythm that mirrored the very heartbeat of the universe. And then, as if the confluence of all her emotions found voice in a single primal cry, she opened her mouth wide, her voice a tempest of raw, unbridled emotion.

   "Ray!"

Amid the tension and urgency, Emma meticulously wrapped her wound, her nimble fingers working deftly as she secured the bandage. With a meaningful glance, she signaled the group to proceed with their plan.

   "Let's escape, everyone! Run to the wall!" Her voice cut through the air, igniting a surge of urgency in their hearts. The group surged forward, a mix of determination and adrenaline driving them towards the towering wall. Amid the flurry, Ray's trembling hand pressed the bandage against his throbbing ear, the shock of the situation still reverberating within him.

He propelled himself forward, muscles straining, racing to close the gap between him and the others. Don's presence beside him offered a semblance of solidarity.

   "Hey, Don. What's the meaning of this? Do they all know the House's secret and about the escape?"

   "Yes," Don said.

   "Why?"

   "Because Emma told them." Don's response was measured, tinged with gravity.

He explained everything from the start when Emma proposed a plan to Norman. When Emma decided that they would just tell everyone about the truth. That it would be better to tell them and have them join them of their own free will. Don explained that they started just by telling four of them, making those four (Nat, Anna, Thoma, Lannion) listen to Sister Krone, Emma, and Norman's late-night meeting.

   "You told them that long ago?" Ray's eyes widened in disbelief, grappling with the extent of Emma's foresight and determination.

   "As for the rest, we spent two months gradually bringing them on. Mama probably had no idea, that Emma was only pretending to have given up and was actually giving the rest of us orders."
Don continued.