Chapter One

"Hold it like this, and then swing" My dad says, his hands gripping my forearms. He brought my arms back and swung at the golf ball with not much force. I honestly didn't want to play this, who enjoys this game? He smiles and pats my shoulder, "that's my girl" He praises.

     It had been two and a half years since we moved to Florida. It was weird, we even went by a different last name. Nothing was the same. My dad had retired from his 'business' and we lived as normal people.  

   I made friends at my new school, though I was far behind my actual class because of the whole 'manipulation situation'. We don't really talk about that now, "I think I'm going to go inside now dad" I say, wiping the sweat from my forehead. It was extremely hot outside today, and my body craved air conditioning. 

    He looked over at me and nodded, "could you ask your mother to bring me some ice water hon" He asks, standing up straight, I nod and make my way inside. "Mom, dad asks for water" I call getting an Okay in response and continue up to my room. 

  The new house wasn't as big as the old one. It was three bedrooms, and one of them was used as an office. There were no more secret rooms, or extravagant extra things that didn't need to be there. I made my way upstairs to my room, and shut my door behind me. 

     As soon as my body made contact with my bed, my phone dings. A call from my friend Cj. I sighed, quickly answering the call. "Hey mamas, I'm on my way to come get you. We're going to the mall." She perks through the phone. I widen my eyes, "What? We always go to the mall" I point out. She scoffs, "We'll we are going again, I need somethings. Plus I miss you" She says. 

    I give in and tell her okay, and we hang up. I stand from my bed and take a shower. 

---

   "KARTER, CJ IS HERE!" Mom shouts, as I pull my jeans over my legs. I slide on my shoes and grab my bag before rushing down the stairs. Cj stands there wrapped in my moms arms, I smile a bit at this. I never had a friend close enough to myself and my parents, and I could tell it made my mom happy too. 

   "Stay safe girls, and call if you need anything." Mom says, rubbing Cjs back and pulling away from the hug. We make our way to the mall in a car ride full of awful singing and, random talking. 

   We wander aimlessly through different shops, stopping to eat a few times. "Woah, Karter that guy is starring at you!" Cj whispers, as we sit at one of the tables in the food court. I furrow my eyebrows, "What does he look like?" I question, not wanting to turn around and make it obvious. 

   "He's tall, he looks Asian. His hair is black and hes wearing all black" 

  I scrunch up my face, "He sounds like a creep." I mutter, bringing my fork full of food to my mouth. She shakes her head, "He looks like he knows you, he is looking really hard" She says, taking a sip of her drink. 

   My eyebrows knot together as I finally decide to turn around, The guy hurriedly turns around and ducks behind someone. "See, a creep" I sigh, turning back around. Though it seemed like something was off. Cj shrugs and continues eating.

  My mind cant help but wonder who the guy is, and why he's watching me, but I don't press. I wanted my life to stay as normal as possible.