CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

EPILOGUE

Just a little update on Can and the bimbos that thought they should be with him. He finally learned "social distancing" from the crazy women who continued to chase him. Sanem had told him to treat them as wild animals and never look them in the eyes. He laughed but it really worked. He discovered it was better to just shake hands and never ever greet them with the traditional Turkish kiss on each cheek. After a while, it worked, and they finally treated him with respect.

There were proud moments, fun times, funny moments, and sad moments in the Divit's life.

Over the years Can, Sanem and their four children traveled a lot. There were vacations by air, boat, car, and many areas around Turkey, Europe, and America. The one place that Can and Sanem saved for themselves was the Galapagos.   When they moved their kids to college, they finally made Sanem's dream trip, they leased a yacht and traveled by sea. They kept in touch with their families by cell phones during this time. They were so happy with their life and family.

Some funny moments in their lives were teaching the kids to drive, a lot of teasing for Deniz, as her Baba told her she drove just like her Anne.  Can allowing his girls to date, without him going with them. The girls really appreciated their Anne's help in this matter. The brothers were almost as protective as their Baba of their sisters, so Sanem had a hard job helping her girls. This family had many fun times and loved each other very much.

Some of the sad times were death in the family. When Dante was in the Air force, Nonna Cemile's cancer returned. He took a leave and he and the whole family were with her when she passed away.  She held his hand and told him that she will be in his heartbeat now, with his parents.  She lived until she was seventy-eight, and was married to Dede Mert for almost fifteen years. They were so happy to have had that time together.

During this same year, Nihat and Mevkibe both passed away within a month of each other. Mevkibe passed away first; then four weeks later, according to their daughters, Nihat died of a broken heart.

Aziz's lung problems reoccurred and he was in Hospice during this time. The family were all taking turns sitting with him, and not leaving Mihriban alone.   Can and Emre were with her when he passed away, he awakened and told them "It is time for me to meet my oldest son.  I love all of you very much and am so proud of you, please don't be sad."

It was a sad time for the whole family to lose four of their elder family members within one year. The rest of the family pulled together to take care of Mihriban and Mert. The triplets were twenty-one, Dante was twenty-six, and the twins were eighteen.

Dante fulfilled his dreams, of returning to Italy and serving in the Italian Air Force like his Papa'. While in the Air Force, he flew planes, and earned a degree in Criminal Justice.  He returned to Turkey and became a Detective in the Istanbul Police Department.   When he was thirty years old, he married Yildiz's best friend, Sabella. She was twenty-five and a police officer in Istanbul. They had twins, a son and daughter, that they named Luca and Elena Cemile.   Just like Dante promised, they lived near Sanem and Can, and tried to help his very independent parents.

Ates became an author, and wrote non-fiction books about nature.  His Baba had taught him photography and he took his own nature photos for his books.  Deniz's best friend Samara became a publisher and worked with him.  It wasn't long before they fell in love and were married. They had triplet's two boys and a girl. They were afraid to have any more children, as he is a triplet and she is an identical twin, would they have four next time?  They traveled all over the world, with their children, but always returned to Istanbul and lived near their parents.

Yildiz became a teacher of high school students. She loved history and taught what she loved. Sanem had started Aziz and Nonna Cemile's story, but had decided to put it on hold for a while. She did not want to cause a lot of publicity for the family.  After Nonna Cemile and Aziz passed away, Yildiz used her talents of history and writing to complete the story.  Dante had asked her to finish it for him, and Sanem was grateful to pass everything to Yildiz.  She married Ali, Ibrahim and Mihre's son and they had four children.  She was very thankful that her two sons and two daughters were all single births.

Deniz grew up to be a free spirit like her Baba.  She traveled all over the world after college.  She became a news reporter for a Turkish television network.  Her parents worried about her the most as she traveled to war zones.  They would watch her on the news, with guns going off in the backgrounds.  No matter how much they worried, they always encouraged and praised her work. They were so happy when she came back to Turkey and married Baris, Dante's best friend. He was a newspaper reporter. They had two children, a son and a daughter.

Altan, Leyla and Emre's son, the one who loved dirt as a child, became an Environmental Engineer.   He worked mostly as a chemist.  He tested soil samples from all over the world, for chemical waste. His family always joked they knew he would play with dirt.  He married Nisa, Bulut and Deren's daughter. They lived on the farm near her parents and had twin boys and a daughter.

Ahu, Leyla and Emre's daughter became a famous fashion model. She had her Anne's perfect figure and was tall. She traveled all over the world and married her manager. They had one son.

Huma, of course never returned to Turkey.   After she had landed in London, Polen met her at the airport.   Polen went on and on, about why didn't you bring Can, I thought he was coming.  Huma finally told her that Can is happy and we are never going to bother him or Emre ever again.  Polen got angry, and left Huma at the airport without a ride.

Huma took a taxi to her hotel. She found a small apartment a few days later.  Down the street was a small bookstore, and she was able to get a job there.  She actually loved her job, and remembered when she was in school she had wanted to be a Librarian.  Can did keep his promise and sent her copies of pictures of Emre, Leyla and their children.  Can, Sanem and their children, and one of her with all of the grandchildren.  She did not even realize Can had taken this picture.  Sanem had written all of the names and birthdates of the children on the back of the photo.  She had included Emre's and their address for her.  She cried looking at the picture of her with all of the kids surrounding her.  Over the years, she would send birthday cards to the kids, and occasionally notes for her sons.  She made friends in her neighborhood and worked at the bookstore for years.

A few years later she became ill, she wrote beautiful letters to her sons letting them know that she loved them and was sorry for all of the sorrow she caused in their lives.  Can and Emre flew to London and were with her in the hospital when she died.  She was awake and they were shocked how humble she had become.  She told them she had been happy with her simple life in London.  She thanked them for coming, and that she loved them and their families. They were sad that they had never had this connection when they were young.

Sanem and Can lived a beautiful life and were never bored. They loved their families, their children, and their grandchildren unconditionally. Theirs was a love that survived much conflict and interference from others.  After such a rough start, fate stepped in and got things under control, and they had a beautiful fulfilling life together.

This is not the end, as love never ends.

Thank you so much for reading and the sweet comments.

  Please stay well and safe during this confusing time for all of us.