10. ...Is To Make Them Your Friend

"What do we know about Molly and Jacob?" Emily asked. She and Veronica were in Veronica's room writing down facts in a notebook.

"Their twins," said Veronica. "They were created on the same day. They were made out of porcelain, but everyone, even themselves think they were stitched, like your mother."

Emily nodded. She wasn't stitched together. There were no visible lines on her body because of her father, but her mother had stitch marks all over. She could take off her limbs if she had too.

"And they ran off a few days ago because my sister and her boyfriend were being mean to them."

"And then they showed up at the HBTH (house beyond the hill) and put our parents under some sort of sleep spell."

"Or sleep gas," said Veronica.

Emily nodded and wrote that down. There was a sharp knock on the door.

"The door is open," said the two in unison.

Vanessa walked in. "Emily, your mom's here to come get ya. She wants to take Ronnie home to. Don't ask me why, I don't know." She left the two girls.

Emily shrugged and grabbed her backpack and helped Veronica quickly pack hers. Then the two rushed down the stairs. Emily ran up and hugged her mother.

"Hi mom!" she said.

"Hello sweetie," said Sally. She hugged her back. "Veronica, you're all packed? Good. We need to hurry before your father gets home. There's a surprise for you in the spare room."

Emily and Veronica grinned at each other.

When the three got to Jack and Sally's house, Emily and Veronica raced to Emily's room.

"Is it them?" asked Veronica.

"Probably," said Emily. "I'm guessing Mom doesn't want Dad to know. So it must be them."

"If you two are done whispering, I want you to follow me," said Sally. She led the girls to the spare bedroom. Before turning the handle, she froze.

"What is it Mom?" asked Emily.

Sally shook her head. "Nothing," she said, and opened the door.

Inside were Lock, Shock, and Barrel. Shock and Lock were on Jack and Sally's bed, sitting up and leaning against the wall. Barrel was fast asleep in the spare bed, his breathing ridged. Emily and Veronica stared slack jawed. Lock still had his bandages on his hands but he also had a swollen lip and a black eye. He was wearing some striped PJs because his body was all cut up and Sally didn't want to hurt it any more. Shock had blisters on her forehead and scalp and a bloody lip. She wore a loose nightgown with her curly hair in two ponytails in front. Her rib cage was badly bruised and it hurt for her to move. Barrel had whip lashes on his chest, neck, and legs. One was slashed down his cheek and his neck, two more were just on his chest, and there were about five or so on his legs. He also wore striped pajamas so that the pain wouldn't overpower his thoughts on living.

"What happened?" asked Emily.

"Your father happened," said Sally.

"Dad did this?" asked Emily.

"Partially," said Sally.

Emily looked at Veronica. "What can we do to help?"

"You can help me get the three of them downstairs for lunch," said Sally.

"We have to move?" asked Barrel softly, his voice shaky.

"We'll help you," said Emily.

It took them a few minutes (20 to be precise) to get the three downstairs. Sally was supporting Barrel who was limping terribly. Emily was helping Shock and Veronica was helping Lock. They got them seated down with a tired sigh. Sally went into the kitchen and brought out five plates and set them down in front of Lock, Shock, Barrel, Emily, and Veronica.