Friction

The track and field ground was the reason why Greendale was on the map for the best of both worlds; Education and Sports. Alumini's from national level sprinters to professionals in theater and even social activists were prominent.

"Yolanda Thomson, 1996 Olympics, 100 m race gold medalist.", Tyler read the inscription on the stone statue of a woman outside the ground. He stood there observing the engravings on the statue and the detail on the same.

"She was the prime student of her time! I watched every race of hers on Television that year and I still do, it brings me pride to call her my student!", a voice came from behind. Tyler turned around to find the source of this anonymous voice. It was the coach, Mr.James Anderson.

The coach was a middle aged man in his late 40's who had a blend of both grey and black hair. He was only seen wearing track pants and a jersey, both of the same colour, and a pair of sports shoes that were always in contrast to his outfit. He carried a red whistle around his neck because he believed that the "world is a racetrack", and that we can start from anywhere, it was our choice because everyone was looking for a way to reach their desired destination. His was merely to guide teenagers towards a successful career in sports.

"She was about your age when her training began, ever since she hasn't taken a single day off. Intense workouts and rigorous training sessions is what led her to this victory!", he added and patted Tyler on the back. "Are you interested in track and field, son?", he asked.

Tyler remained silent.

"Very well, I should take the hint that you were just on a campus tour then instead!", Coach Anderson replied and walked back into the ground after patting Tyler's back again, "But if my hunch is right, I think you belong here kid, come back when you've changed your mind!"

***

"So? How was it?", asked Milton as he grabbed another serving of sausages on his plate.

"How was what?", a confused Tyler looked back at Milton as he walked away from the canteen and towards the nearest empty seat.

"Oh don't try to hide it from me now! You had sex with Abbie, I saw you both changing the other day, so how was it?", Milton sat down and placed his tray fries, sausages, bread sticks and soda.

"Wha-", Tyler spat out the water in his mouth after listening to Milton. "I had what again?", he got a little closer to make sure he heard it right this time.

"You, and Abbie. Together. One room. Happy Ending...So how was it?!", Milton chuckled as he gestured everything which was not at all helping the situation.

"Uh..n-", Tyler was about to say something when he heard a familiar voice, a voice of a person who he didn't want to be here right now.

"Hey Ty! Want some Ice Tea? I made it myself, my mom told me to be productive during vacations so I decided to learn a few things before joining college. Here try it!", it was Roma, she was looking good like always with her hair tied in a pony, a plain pink top and dark blue bell-bottoms. She wore a black pendant which looked like the crescent of the moon.

"That's...That's really good Roma, how'd you make it?", an impressed Tyler asked her while he sipped some more coffee from the straw.

"Can I have a sip?", Milton asked out of curiosity.

"Sure...why not?", Roma passed it to Milton after an awkward exchange of words.

"Okay so, The Cof-", Roma was going to talk about the recipe behind the cold coffee when Milton interrupted.

"Mhmmhm! Too strong! Ehh! Thank you, you may take this back!", Milton replied and returned the cup to Roma. "How did you even take a sip of that without flinching man!", he looked at Tyler as he sipped for water.