The Truth

Ran’s POV:

I didn’t want to meet up again with Lisa. I know she’ll ask me about what happened. What am I supposed to say? Should I just admit the truth? Would she judge me for it? I don’t know. She seems nice, so maybe she wouldn’t say anything.

I couldn’t stop thinking about what I was going to do. I barely paid attention the whole day at school. Not that it really mattered. I didn’t understand the lessons anyway. I sighed as I rested my head on my desk. The teacher was doing problems on the board. I couldn’t understand any of them.

What am I gonna do? Should I ditch? Would I get in trouble? I don’t know. If she told them I ditched, then yeah, I would. But, I don’t know if she would. At least, not for one day.

Before I knew it, it was time to go meet her. I didn’t come up with a plan. I trudged to the library. Maybe she won’t be here? Maybe she assumed I wouldn’t show up? Please… it’ll give me an excuse to just go home.

Unfortunately, she was there. She looked relieved to see me. Well, I guess she had assumed that I’d ditch on her. It’s too late to do that now. I trudged up to her.

“Hey, um… I’m sorry about yesterday.” Lisa apologized, “I’ll do my best to make sure it won’t happen again.”

“It’s my fault.” I mumbled, “I keep running away from my problems…”

“Would you like to talk? Or should we just pretend that never happened.” Lisa offered.

Should I tell her? Would that do anything for me? I don’t know.

“I… I guess we can talk.” I mumbled.

I hope I don't regret this. Lisa nodded and we went into the library. We sat in our usual spot. We sat there in silence for a while. I don't know where to start. Maybe…

"Do you know anything about me?" I asked.

"No. I don't know anything more than what you've said and what the school said, which was just you were failing and needed a tutor." Lisa replied.

So, I have to explain everything? I should be fine. I can handle these memories. I have to. I can't keep hiding. I can't keep letting my emotions get the best of me. This is my chance to start getting better. Opening up to a stranger may just be what I need to start recovering.

"Well… it's a pretty long story… since you know nothing." I mumbled, "You sure you want to listen?"

"Yes. If it'll help me avoid a similar situation then yes." Lisa nodded, a firm and determined look on her face.

"Alright. So, I um… I was found abandoned in the woods as an infant and taken to live at an orphanage." I said. I paused, knowing she would say something about it.

"Oh… so, I guess us mentioning you being an orphan really hit home… I'm sorry about that." Lisa apologized.

"It's fine… I… I overreacted." I stammered.

"How about we both say we were at fault? Now, continue please?"

"Okay… so, I was six and still hadn't been adopted. A fire broke out one afternoon at the orphanage. I was the only survivor." I waited to see if she'd mention the place.

"Oh. I kinda remember hearing about that." Lisa commented.

"I was found by one of my friends and their dad. They took me in and healed me. I kinda burned my foot in the fire so… it took a while. They temporarily adopted me and we were doing good." I paused for a bit to collect myself.

This is where things can go ugly. Should we maybe go somewhere more private? I don't want to worry her, though. Hopefully I can keep my emotions in control this time. That's all I ask. Just let me not lose control.