Safe?

Ran’s POV:

I woke up first the next morning. I sat up and looked at the time. It was only five. I woke up early. I laid back down. I looked over at Moca. She was still sleeping. I moved closer to her. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep again.

I woke up in a dark room. What’s going on? Where am I?

I looked around. I couldn’t see anything. Then, the room lit up. I was in a room filled with dangerous looking things. I didn’t even know what half of the things around were called. I gulped. Where am I?

Someone entered the room. It was dad. He had a knife in his hand. I backed away, only to crash into a wall. I’m stuck. What do I do?

Dad cornered me. He held the knife up. I can’t get out. He’s gonna kill me. As I thought that, he brought the knife down.

I woke up screaming. I took deep breaths. That was scary.

“Ran? What’s wrong?” Moca wrapped her arms around me.

“N-nightmare…” I gasped as I tried to control my breathing.

“Shh… look at me.” Moca whispered.

I looked up at her. She smiled and pulled her into a tight hug. I clung to her as I started crying. She patted my back.

“I… I dreamt that dad… dad killed me…” I choked out.

“Shh… you’re okay. You’re here. He’s not going to get you. You’re safe.” Moca reassured me.

Safe… am I safe? I wanna be safe.

“Try and sleep. Just remember you’re here. Not there.” Moca said as she closed her eyes.

“Okay…” I mumbled.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep again. Thankfully, I didn’t have another dream.

When I woke up again, it was to voices. I blinked open my eyes and looked around. Moca was sitting up beside me. I sat up and looked at her.

“Who’s here?” I asked.

Moca shrugged, “I don’t know.”

We crept to the door and tried to listen in on the conversation. We couldn’t make anything out. Moca opened the door and crept into the hall. I followed after her. We stopped by a corner. We could hear them better now.

“We need her.”

“She isn’t talking to you alone. You can either interview her here or leave.”

“We need to talk to her alone.”

“You will not. I do not trust you with her alone.”

Moca and I looked at each other. We both seem to understand they were talking about me. Who are these people? What do they want me for?

“We work for the police. Why don’t you trust us?”

“You still haven’t shown me your badges.”

“Disable her and find the kid. I’ve had enough of this.”

Moca quickly grabbed my arm and tugged me away. They must be working for dad. So… reporting him didn’t work. He’s gonna be even angrier now. What do I do? Right now, we need to escape.

“Here. Hide.” Moca shoved me into a dark closet, “I’ll be close by hiding. Don’t make a sound.”

“Okay…” I whispered.