2 - LOST AND FOUND

Prologue:

The story is a boy in a remote village somewhere near the City of Benculoon, Dutch East India.

..............

Time: Eighteen Century.
Place; Turtle Island

Turtle Island was a small jungle produce trading post in the middle of Java Sea where Andy and his grandparent the Gajah Mada family lived.

It was a small trading village serving as a collecting centre for local produce such as spices, birds nests products and decidious logs. It was inhabited by local people, a number of chinese family, mostly as shop keepers, middlemen or fishermen.

Back at home, people used to called him Andy Morgan or by his nickname: Halfbreed Merchant or just Handsome boy, a sarcastic remark given by his friends but nothing offensive.

The boys dif that all the time, even one of his friends was called Black Tarzan because he used to move around in his lioncloth and armed with knife, wooden knife.

True to his nickname; Andy's father was a Dutch sailor and his mother a local lady.

Both perished in a tempest but he alone survived.

At least that was how the story goes!

Andy stood as tall as any European boy of his age but his features he inherited mostly from his mother, except for his eyes, blue eyes!

He was coming 17 on this coming Christmas.

"Tomorrow, you can follow Karno and his boys to the mountain to collect some rattan and other jungle produce." His grand mother said as she placed in front of them a plate of fried beans and another plate filled with wild boar meat seasoned with garlics.

" Your grandfather allows you to go with them..." she added with a dismal tone in her voice

Before he could finish, Andy was already hugging and kissing his grandma's hands.

"Thank you very much grandma. I know you will allow me to join them sooner or later! Thank you very much.. ummmah!"

His grandfather kept on smiling; he too felt the same but sooner or later, this grandson of his will have to be on his own, forging his own adventures with other kids, who know maybe in other part of the world just like his dad did.

That night, Andy was so jubilant that he kept on telling about the funs that other guys had done while hiking in the jungle, not so distant past.

Of course he wasn't with them then. It was only a story which might not be neccesary true but he enjoyed it nevertheless.

His grandma kept on reminding him not to eat and talk especially when his mouth was full of juicy meat.

His grandfather continued to ignore them and proceeded to select juicy beans for himself with his bamboo chopsticks.

No need to stop the boy from telling them of his fantasy about his friends.

After dinner, grandpa and Andy moved to the verandah for the usual chitchat while grandma did the kitchen core.

Two hours later, it was supper time.

The night supper was superb and special - consisted of wild tapioca dipped in wild honey and washed with Ceylon Tea.

"This is great! Grandma!" Andy said smiling at his grandmother. He really love his grandma alot. In fact eversince his mother had gone, she had been his mother and grandmother.