Soulmates

"Mi perro es blanco," stated one student in my Spanish class.

"Good, Jared. Now, Kate?" The teacher asked, her eyes shifting to me.

I looked down at my paper, then back up shyly. "Uhm, yo no tengo un perro," I spoke in Spanish.

"Oh, I see," the teacher replied. "And Peter?"

"Yo no tengo un perro también," Peter said confidently. I admired his confidence when he spoke, looking to him with a gentle smile. He smiled back as the bell rung overhead.

"Alright, clasé! Remember test is...?" She asked.

"Viernes," we replied monotonously as we exited.

"Peter!" I called as I caught up to him. "You're coming for lunch today, right?"

"Yeah," he replied, slowing down so our paces matched.

"Good, cause I have a question for you. It's kind of been on my mind for a while."

"Sure," he replied. "See you after math?"

"Yeah," I said with a small smile.

"Make sure you take notes!" he called as he walked off. "I can't help if I don't know what I'm doing!"

I laughed. "Alright," I called back, waving as he took off for his own class.

---------------------

"So, what did you want to ask?" Peter inquired, taking a bite of his lunch as we sat on the rooftop.

I sighed a bit, looking out into the distance. I debated if I should ask him or not, but finally found myself the nerve. "It's just... Well, it's been on my mind for a while now."

"What's that?" He asked, looking to me.

I looked back and our eyes met. I looked down to the ground below, then took in a deep breath. "Do you believe in soulmates?"

He looked taken aback, as if he wasn't expecting it. "Uhm, yeah, I think so. I mean..." he hesitated. "Why?"

"I just want to know."

"Well, I guess I do," he replied. "Is that a bad thing?"

"No," I said quickly. "Not a problem."

We sat in silence for a few moments before I spoke again. "What's your definition of a soulmate?"

"Well, I guess it would have to be someone who understands me. Someone who knows and gets what's important in my life and someone who could keep a secret. Someone who's not afraid of being with me at my weakest points and not ashamed of me or my mistakes. Someone who's my better half and helps me through life. Someone who loves and cares about me, my career, my life. And someone who would be willing to accept my life and the dangers and all the other factors that go with it. I mean, they can't deny who I am or try to change me, or even try to convince me otherwise. I finally know who I was meant to be, and if they try to push that life away, I have nothing. I was meant to be this way, and my soulmate will understand that and encourage me. Or maybe not even that, if they don't like it, but support me nevertheless."

I took in his information, trying to remember it all. That's when he took my hand gently into his and intertwined our fingers. I looked at him and he gazed deeply back into my eyes. "Someone like you," he whispered.

I blushed immensely, in which he gently pulled me toward him, then wrapped him arms around me. He put our foreheads together, then gently leaned in and kissed my lips. "I love you, Katelyn Strange..." he whispered.

"I love you too, Peter Parker..." I whispered back as he pulled me into another soft kiss.