Birthday

I woke up, checking my phone. The familiar date stared me back in the face and I got up with a sigh.

My 16th birthday... I wonder if anyone even knows. I know my dad had to put it down on my school forms but I wonder if he remembers...

I got dressed, grabbing my cloak, which shifted into a nice sweatshirt that I slipped on. I smiled a bit, pleased with how I looked in the mirror. Even if nobody knew it was my birthday, I vowed I would still have a great day.

I moved down the stairs and into the kitchen, where my father had just finished breakfast. We sat down to eat together, like we normally did. After a few minutes, he looked up to me. "So, what's the agenda for today?"

"I don't know," I said. I didn't want to brag about it being my birthday, so I didn't say anything. "I was thinking of hanging out with Peter for a while today."

"I thought Peter was busy today?" My father questioned, glancing up at me as he took another bite of his eggs.

"Oh... right," I replied. "Well, then I'll practice more sorcery. Refine what I know and learn something new."

"Actually, I have some errands for you to run," he stated, not looking up from his plate this time.

"Oh... Uh, alright," I said, finishing my breakfast and washing my dishes.

When I was finished, I turned to my father who handed me a list.

Kate's List:
Help Wong in the library
Take mail to the post office
Order and get pizza for dinner

Grocery Store:
Bread
Eggs
Milk
Butter
Hotdogs
Sandwich meat
Bananas
Jelly
Cereal

"Alright, I'll get on it," I replied. At least it would keep me busy for most of the day. I decided to start in the library with Wong, moving up the stairs and into the library. I took in its musty smell with a small smile. "Wong?" I called out.

---------------------

I sighed as I walked into the grocery store. "Good thing I have a sling ring," I muttered. "Maybe in a few weeks I'll ask dad to take me to the DMV."

I shopped around, finding most of what I needed. As I passed an aisle, I looked down it to see a familiar face. I stopped in my tracks with a smile. I turned my cart down the aisle and walked behind him. I brushed against his back with my shoulder, causing him to turn around. "Kate?"

"Hey," I replied with a bright smile. "What're you doing here?"

"Oh, just running errands for Aunt May..." he replied hesitantly.

I tipped my head. "Are you alright?"

"What? Yeah, no, I'm fine," he replied with a smile. "What makes you think I'm not?"

"You're acting like you act when you're trying to keep a secret," I replied, knowing my boyfriend too well. "What's going on?"

"Nothing, Kate. There's no secret," he stated quickly.

"Peter," I said with a frown and a small whine, but decided to let it go. "Well, we're both running errands, we might as well do it together, right?"

"Uh, no, this was actually my last one. I have to get back or Aunt May will kill me."

"I doubt that," I said. "Why can't you hang with me for just a few minutes?"

Suddenly, Peter's phone started to ring in his pocket, making him pull it out. "Crud, it's Aunt May," he replied. "Sorry, Kate. I'll see you later, okay?"