The Foreign Exchange: Part 2

I grabbed Loki by the shoulder, turning him around. I looked up at him, for he was a few inches taller than I was. I was ready to slap him when I remembered what he'd told me on Earth.

Haven't you ever wanted to prove your worth?

Instead of slapping him, I jumped into his arms in a hug. "Oh, Loki, this is such a surprise!" I acted.

"You're gone for one day, brother, and already you have a fiancé?" Thor said skeptically.

"I've been visiting her in secret," he replied. "Isn't that right, darling?"

"Yes, that's right," I replied.

Loki looked to Odin, who seemed to be at a loss. "Well, if this is real, then gather the people, Thor. We obviously have an announcement to make."

"Loki, what are you doing?" Thor protested. He looked to me. "Is he making you do this? Who has he threatened? Are you under a spell?"

"She's not under a spell and I haven't threatened anybody," Loki argued.

"He's telling the truth," I replied, taking Loki's hand, both out of fear and to make a point. "I came here willingly."

Thor looked from me to Loki, then walked out of the room to do as Odin said. Loki looked to Odin, who gave him a small nod. "Take her to her chamber, Loki. She must prepare."

"Thank you, father," Loki said, bowing. He led me by my hand out of the room and down many hallways, into a bedroom.

As soon as the door was shut, I turned around and smacked him across the face. He didn't seem too phased by it. "Loki, do-"

"Shush," he said. "I have questions for you first. Why didn't you do that earlier? Do you want to marry me?"

"Of course not! I only remembered what you said earlier about worth, and why you brought me here in the first place."

"You looked ready to slap me."

"I was!" I exclaimed. "Loki, why? Is this how Asgardians prove their worth? By taking a bride from another world?"

"Thor is praised because he woos women from Earth. Everybody on Earth hates me, except you evidently. You knew I was dangerous and yet you still came with me. Why?"

"I guess you 'wooed' me," I said sarcastically, walking over and sitting on the side of the bed. "For gosh sakes, I've been willingly kidnapped by the god of mischief and brought to a mystical yet terrifying foreign place and now I've got to marry him. What have I gotten myself into?"

"We can fake your death!" He said. "I'm terribly good at that. Then you can go back to earth and live in peace, while I'll still be worthy of Odin's love. Yes, the perfect solution!"

"Did you expect me to slap you?" I asked, standing and walking over to him.

"You mean in this room? Yes. In front of my adopted family? No. But I wasn't expecting you to do what you did either. You truly are a worthy one, Katelyn."

I sighed, putting my hands to my head. "You promised to have me back before bedtime, you know."

"You'll be back before then. Time is a bit different here."

"Fine," I replied. "How soon?"

"After the announcement, it'll be as soon as possible."

I sighed. "Gosh, you don't look seventeen..."

"I assure you, I am," he replied, taking my hands in his. "Thank you for this, Katelyn. I owe everything to you."

I smiled a bit, but looked to the door as Thor walked in. "It's time, brother. The people are gathered. You're really going to go through with this?" He looked between us.