What Choice Did I Have?

"WHAT!?" the other girls asked in surprise.

My mind drew a blank. Lance then walked over to me and sported a toothy grin.

He's so much taller than I am; I feel so small compared to him...

"Sharena Beyevell, I've chosen you," he said.

"M-Me? But why?" I asked.

"I chose you not because of your looks, but because of your humbleness, your brains, your independence as a young woman, and because of your heart. (1 Samuel 16:7)" he said.

When I stared into his eyes, I recognized who he was.

He's the one that stood up for me at Echo Park.

"Well, if you're really choosing me, will you take me for who I am? A novice guitarist still trying to find her place in the world?" I asked.

"Of course, I will, but only if you will take me for who I am. The son of the Mayor of LA. I don't want someone who's just going to use me for my money." Lance said.

"I would never use anyone for what they have. I don't want the son of the Mayor of LA anyway, I want Lance Auburne, the young man who stood up for me at Echo Park."

Lance smiled and wrapped his arms around me. Feeling the warmth of his embrace, I smiled and leaned into his hug. When we parted, the audience cheered.

"Well, there you have it folks! Lance's new girlfriend, Sharena Beyevell!" Kevin announced.

Lance wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his head on top of mine. Placing my hands over his, we turned to the flashing cameras.

Still, somehow, I feel like I'm not supposed be his girlfriend. I mean, what if his father, the mayor, doesn't like me?

Forcing a smile, I leaned back into Lance's broad chest. When the photographers were done taking pictures, I headed backstage and placed my guitar in its case.

"Hey!" shouted a voice behind me.

I turned around and saw Willow and Kylie.

"Um, can I help you?" I asked.

"What makes you think that you could come up in here and take Lance?" Willow asked.

"Yeah, did you pay him to choose you?" Kylie asked.

"What? No." I said.

Kylie and Willow both scoffed.

"Yeah right. You better breakup with him because he is mine!" Kylie said.

"And why would she do that?" asked a voice behind them.

Leaning on the archway frame was none other than Lance Auburne himself.

"A perfect example of why I didn't choose either of you." he said coldly.

He pushed past the girls and wrapped his hand around my waist.

"If I'm being perfectly honest, I was going to choose Sharena from the beginning." he said.

He's standing up for me again...

A small smile spread across my lips. Willow and Kylie stared at Lance in bewilderment.

"Come along, my dear. I'll take you home." he said.

Pulling me closer into him, we made our way out of the studio and into the parking lot.

"Sharena!" two voices cried.

Turning around, I saw Cassie and Mina run up to us.

"Congratulations, little cousin." Mina said.