LA's Weasel

It was a few days after my date with Lance, and I wrote everything down in a journal so I would never forget it.

I even wrote down how we met and how I became his girlfriend.

Laying down in my bed, I placed a hand over the necklace Lance bought me.

I still feel like I don't deserve him... I'm just glad he loves me for who I am...

Picturing his smiling face made me smile. Hearing footsteps near my door, I sat up and waited to see who it was. My door was open, so it gave Onyx complete access into my room. He jumped up on my bed and laid his head on my leg. I stroked the Labrador's head and sighed.

"Now what are you doing in here, buddy?" I asked.

Onyx grumbled and rolled on his back, looking up at me with pleading eyes. I rolled my eyes and let out a laugh.

"You came in here to get a belly rub?" I asked.

Onyx gave me a look as if he were smiling. I sighed with content and started rubbing Onyx's belly. Hearing my phone's notification go off, I reached for it and checked the notification. I groaned with annoyance when I saw that it was a text from Sasha.

SASHA: Hey gurl!!! Y don't u talk 2 me anymore???

I really don't feel like talking to her...

Setting my phone down, my hand stopped rubbing Onyx's belly. I realized this when Onyx slapped my hand with his paw.

"Sorry Onyx." I apologized, continuing to rub his belly.

Onyx sat up and looked at me with a concerned look.

"I'm okay, buddy. Just a lot going on." I said.

Onyx grumbled and bumped his nose with me. His wet nose made me smile. I then placed a kiss on his forehead as my thanks.

"Thanks Onyx, I needed that." I admitted.

Looking up at the ceiling, I began staring off into space.

Believe it or not, I'm curious as to know what Barren's doing...

~Barren's POV~

"Alright sir, I scheduled your meeting with the mayors of Seattle and San Francisco two weeks from now," I said.

"Thank you, Barren. I knew I could count on you." Auburne said.

"What would you do without me?"

I smiled as I ran a hand through my hair. My smile soon faded when I heard Arlo's voice.

"Mr. Auburne, you wanted to see me?" he asked as he walked into the room.

What is he doing here...?

"Yes Arlo. I wanted to personally give you a promotion." Auburne said.

WHAT...!?

"A promotion?" Arlo asked.

"Yes. I spoke with the chief, and she approved. I want you to be my personal guard and head of the Town Hall security." Auburne said.

Arlo was stunned. It looked like he'd just seen a ghost.

"I-I would be honored, sir. Thank you." he said.

"So that means I'll be seeing him almost every day from now on?" I asked.

"Correct." Auburne said.

Oh, what joy...

I could practically feel my blood boiling. Sighing, I forced a smile.

"You'll start Friday morning, 8 o'clock sharp." Auburne said.

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." Arlo said.

With a wave of his hand, Auburne dismissed Arlo.

Just hearing that guy's voice is enough. Now I've got to see his face 24/7...?

When Arlo left, I silently groaned in discomfort, hanging my head in defeat.

"Everything alright, Barren?" Auburne asked, his voice bringing me back to reality.

"Yes sir, everything's great." I lied.

"Well, I'm about to head home. You're free to go as well."

I nodded and humbly took my leave. Walking to my car in the parking lot, I noticed Arlo talking to one of the security guards.

He disgusts me so much. I would do anything to get rid of him...

Getting into my car, I rested my head on the steering wheel. My head shot up when I thought of a way to get rid of Arlo for good. I felt myself smiling like the devil himself.

Tomorrow night I'll tell Mayor Auburne what a naughty boy Arlo has been...

The new day dawned, and I completed all the work Auburne told me to do. With each passing hour, I felt my smile grow more and more. When night came, I quickly made my way to Auburne's office. Composing myself, I knocked on his door.

"Come in." Auburne said behind the door.

Opening the door, I saw Aubrune working at his desk.

"Barren, you're here late. Shouldn't you be home by now?" he asked.

"Yes, but there's something I really need to tell you, sir." I said, closing the doors.

"What is it?"

Keeping my excited emotions under control, I began explaining everything to Auburne.

~Arlo's POV~

"Night Henry." I said.

"You too, Arlo." Henry said.

I gathered the last of my things and started making my way to the exit. I then stopped in my tracks when I remembered something.

I have to ask Mr. Auburne something about my promotion.

Walking up to his office, I was about to knock on the door when I heard him talking to someone.

"I'm sorry, Barren. Can you repeat that one more time? I'm still trying to wrap my head around this." Auburne said.

What's Barren doing here so late?

"I heard rumors saying that there was a family in LA sticking their noses into your business. They plan on putting you in the Los Angeles grave." Barren said.

Woah, that's low...

"Do you know the members of this family?" Auburne asked.

"Sadly no, but I did hear their last name," Barren said.

"Which is?"

"Sterling..."

My eyes widened when I heard the name.

That's MY last name... He's setting me up for something my family and I didn't do... I have to warn Sharena and the others...

Quietly backing away from the door, I ran to the parking lot, hopped in my car, and drove home.

I can't believe Barren would go as far as to set me up for something I didn't do...

Pulling into my driveway, I ran inside and ran to Sharena's room. When I burst through the door, Sharena jumped at least a foot in the air.

"Sharena!" I cried.

"Cousin-Arlo? What is it?" she asked.