Sharena's Stand, Barren's Fall

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce Arlo. He is the brave man who saved Mayor Auburne's life from the two wanted criminals, Luis Martinez and Scott Wilson." Barren said.

Everyone in the grand hall applauded.

"It was really swell of your father to do this for my cousin," I said, looking up at Lance.

"Believe it or not, Sharena, Barren's the one that came up with the idea." Lance said.

"You don't say..."

Wonder why the change of heart...?

After the party, Hans drove Lance, Mayor Auburne, and I to my house. We walked inside and sat down at the table. Almost half an hour past, and Barren was nowhere in sight.

Kind of happy about that...

"I wonder where Barren could be." I said.

Then, the doorbell rang. Going to the door, I opened it and Barren was there.

"Sorry I'm late." Barren said, pushing past me.

Rude as ever, I see...

Walking to the dining table, I took a deep breath and glanced at Lance. Lance nodded firmly with a smile.

"The real reason I called you both here again was to... to... to..." I stuttered.

Don't get flustered now, Sharena!

Then, I heard Arlo's voice in my head.

"Remember Sharena, you never need to be afraid of doing what's right. With God by your side, there is nothing you can't face..."

Putting on a brave face, I stood up and faced the mayor.

"Mayor Auburne, someone is plotting against my family. Tomorrow my family and I will be thrown in prison." I said.

"What? Send my son's girlfriend to prison? Now who would dare?" Auburne asked.

Turning to Barren, I gave him a piercing glare.

"It's Barren!" I said.

Barren stepped back in surprise.

"Is this true?" Auburne asked, turning to Barren.

"I don't know what she's talking about. She's just a crazy guitarist." Barren said.

"But it's true." I said.

"Do you have any proof?"

"I'm her proof." Lance said, standing up.

I looked at Lance and blinked in surprise.

"Yesterday morning, Sharena came to the mansion and told me everything Arlo heard when Barren was talking with you, Father, word for word. When Barren said the family's surname was Sterling, he was referring to Arlo Sterling's family," Lance said.

"Arlo? I just threw him a thank you party for saving my life." Auburne said.

"Arlo is my cousin. His family is my family." I said.

"And there are a lot of other things Barren has done. One of them was harassing my girlfriend."

Barren's eyes were filled with fear.

"You had me send the LAPD to hunt down the man who saved my life and my son's girlfriend?" Auburne asked.

Barren couldn't even form a word. Then, Arlo came through the door with two other officers behind him.

"Like the old saying goes, Barren: reap what you sow..." Arlo said.

Barren glared at Arlo when one of the two officers placed him under arrest. The officer soon led him to the police car and put him inside. Turning to Arlo, I ran up to him and leaped into his arms.

"I'm so glad you're okay." I said.

"As am I." Arlo said.

"Arlo." Auburne said.

His voice made the two of us separate.

"My most sincere apologies, Arlo. I had no idea." Auburne said.

"You have nothing to be sorry for, sir. I'm just glad my family is safe, thanks to Lance and Sharena." Arlo said.

Lance walked up behind me and wrapped an arm around me.

"Well, I know it's not my place to say this, but how would you like to be Assistant Mayor of LA? I need someone like you to man-down the fort with me." Auburne suggested.

Arlo looked at him with surprise. Then, a gentle smile appeared on his face.

"Thank you, sir, but I must decline. I'm happy with being an officer. Every day when I'm patrolling, I always remember who I'm protecting," Arlo said.

"If you are content with your decision, then so am I," Auburne said.

"But I think I already know the perfect candidate for Assistant Mayor of LA."

"Who?"

Arlo then looked at Lance.

"Your son." Arlo said.

Lance's eyes widened.

"Lance is just as capable as you to become Assistant Mayor. And when the time comes, he'll make an excellent mayor." Arlo said.

Lance let out a silent sigh and smiled sweetly at Arlo.

"I agree." Auburne said.

"So do I." I said.

Lance is the perfect choice...

~Lance's POV~

I looked down at Sharena and smiled.

No time like the present...

"Sharena..." I began.

Sharena turned around with an adorable smile on her face. Taking a deep breath, I took hold of both of her hands.

"From the moment I met you at Echo Park, I knew you were the one for me. Your singing and playing captivated me. I love your family and your family loves mine. You're smart, kind, humble, funny, beautiful, and just all around amazing young woman, and I don't want to be apart from you, ever." I said.

When I brought out the small box from my pocket, I opened it, and inside was a beautifully cut, diamond ring. Sharena's eyes widened as they filled with tears. I smiled and got on one knee.

"Sharena Ishani Beyevell, will you forever be the love and joy in my life, and marry me?" I asked.

Sharena smiled as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Yes... Yes, I will!" she cried.

Smiling widely, I got up and slid the ring on her finger. Pulling her close, I placed my forehead on hers.

"I love you, Sharena." I said.

"I love you too, Lance." she said.

Like magnets, our faces drew closer together. I then placed a loving kiss on her lips. When she smiled, I couldn't help but smile as well. When we parted, we looked at my father and Arlo, who were trying their best not to cry.

"Congratulations, you two," Auburne said.

"Thank you, sir." Sharena said.

"Please dear, call me Klaus."

Sharena smiled and nodded.

"Are you going to tell the rest of the family?" Arlo asked.

"I will, but tomorrow. I want to surprise them." Sharena said.

"And I'll be right there with you." I said.

Sharena smiled and bumped our noses together.

I can tell we're going to be really happy together. I'm forever grateful to God for giving me such an amazing girl...