The Guitarist and The Mayor's Son

"So, how much money did you make in your last performance, Sharena?" my cousin asked.

"You know I don't do this for the money, Cousin-Arlo. I play because I love doing it." I said, patting on my guitar case.

"Well, why not play at Echo Park? Have you ever played there?"

Thinking about what my officer cousin suggested, I shook my head no.

"No, I don't think I have." I said.

"Well, there's no time like the present." Arlo said.

I smiled at my cousin and we started making our way to Echo Park. Looking up at the beautiful sun above, I smiled as the sun's rays kissed my copper skin. Reaching our destination, I placed my case on a bench and opened it, admiring my royal blue, acoustic guitar. Taking it out, I placed the strap over my shoulder and strummed a chord. Leaving my case open on the ground, I began playing and singing a tune.

"Take all I have in these hands. And multiply, God, all that I am. And find my heart on the altar again. Set me on fire, set me on fire... Here I am, God. Arms wide open... Pouring out my life, Gracefully Broken..."

My singing and playing began to attract a small crowd. My eyes were fixated on my fingering, but I heard coins being dropped in the case. When I strummed my last chord, the crowd broke into applause.

"Thank you." I said humbly.

The crowd soon dispersed, and I continued to play.

"You have the voice of your mother." Arlo said, as he leaned against a nearby tree.

What he said set my heart a glow. Thinking of my late parents always made me feel happy. Remembering my mother's favorite song, I began to play it.

"I stand before You now. The greatness of your renown. I have heard of the majesty and wonder of you. King of Heaven, in humility, I bow. As Your love, in wave after wave. Crashes over me, crashes over me. For You are for us. You are not against us. Champion of Heaven, you made a way for all to enter in."

Just singing the song always brought tears to my eyes, but it's one of the ways I felt close to my mother. When I ended the song, I quickly wiped away the tears in my eyes.

I hate crying in public...

I then saw something white in front of my face. Seeing that it was a handkerchief, I took it and wiped my eyes.

"Thanks." I said.

Looking up, I saw the smiling face of my cousin.

"Well, you made a good amount of money." Arlo said, looking down into the guitar case.

I softly smiled and nodded. I sighed and began plucking the strings on my instrument, not really caring if I was playing a tune or not. Then, I saw some dollar bills flutter down into my case. I looked up and saw a young man with blonde, shaved sides, and pale skin. His eyes were light brown and had black earrings. He wore denim jeans with a thin, white shirt, making his abs very visible. He had dog-tags around his neck and red, black, and white sneakers.

~Lance's POV~

"Your voice is very pretty, and your playing is wonderful." I commented.

"Thank you..." she said sheepishly.

Smiling softly, she began to play some more, singing another song with her crystal voice.

"Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God. Oh, it chases me down, fights 'til I'm found, leaves the ninety-nine. I couldn't earn it, and I don't deserve it, still, You give Yourself away. Oh, the overwhelming, never-ending, reckless love of God, yeah!"