Connect the Hearts

Michel just shrugged his shoulders. With a final wave, Michel went on his way. Staring down at the letter, I opened it and read the note inside.

Dear Sharena Beyevell,

I am pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the famous game show Connect the Hearts. You will be competing against other girls for the heart of Lance Auburne. If you don't know how the game works, there will be three rounds of the game: the fashion round, the QNA round, and the talent round. The address to the game show studio will be at the end of this letter. Congratulations, and good luck, Ms. Beyevell.

Sincerely,
Klaus Auburne

I stared at the letter in shock.

"Why would Mayor Auburne send me a letter?" I asked, looking down at Onyx.

Onyx just tilted his head in confusion. Reading it again, I let out a sigh.

"What am I getting so worked up for? He probably sent the same letter to every young lady in LA. I don't even want to compete for Lance Auburne. He's just going to pick the girl with the prettiest eyes, or the sexiest body." I said.

Onyx grumbled and placed his head on my lap, as if he were trying to comfort me. I smiled and patted his head. Looking down at the letter in my other hand, I began contradicting whether to go or not.

Funny thing is, I don't want to go because of what I'm competing for, but I need to go because it's a request from the mayor himself.

I sighed when I came to a conclusion.

"Guess I'm going to be on Connect the Hearts, even though I really don't want to go..." I said.

Looking down at the date, time, and address, I copied everything onto the calendar on my phone.

"Maybe I can ask one of my cousins or aunt to drive me..." I said.

Picking up my guitar, I went inside with Onyx in tow. Almost immediately, I was bombarded with questions from my cousins, Cassie and Mina.

"Rena, did you hear the news!?" Mina asked.

"All young women are going to be on Connect the Hearts in hope to be Lance Auburne's girlfriend... Yeah, I heard..." I said, making my way to my room.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Cassie asked, putting a hand on my shoulder, and holding me in place.

I let out a sigh and turned to my older cousins.

"I know I have to compete, but I don't want to. Plus, I'm not even that beautiful. The world would have to be flat, purple, and yellow if I'm chosen to be Lance Auburne's girlfriend." I said.

My cousins laughed at my remark.

"Don't ever say that you're not beautiful. God made you beautiful and special. You are a spitting image of him. (Psalms 139:14)" Mina said.

I looked up at her and smiled.

"We were just about to go out and buy some dresses. Want to come?" Cassie asked.

"Sure." I said.

Quickly putting my guitar in my room, I walked outside and climbed into Mina's silver Chevrolet. Leaning back into the leather seat, I let out a deep sigh.

"So, what color are you going for, Mina?" Cassie asked.

"Purple, of course. How about you, sister?" Mina asked.

"Amber orange."

I rolled my eyes as I listened to their ridiculous conversation.

"What about you Sharena? What color dress are you getting?" Cassie asked.