Lived To See Another Day

I let out a deep groan and turned off my alarm. Sitting up from my bed, I heard the birds sing outside my window.

My mother always said that whenever the birds sing, they're singing God's praises... (Psalms 147:1) (Psalms 150:6)

Hopping out of bed, I started getting ready for my meet with the Town Hall. Wanting to look nice in front of them, I threw on a loose, white blouse, black pants, and black heels.

I'm a sucker for business casual...

Grabbing a matching black purse, I put in some extra flats in case my feet start to hurt. Brushing my teeth and washing my face, I grabbed my belongings and headed downstairs. Onyx saw me and started barking happily. Petting his head, I sat at the kitchen's island and sighed.

"So, how does it feel bein' Lance's girlfriend?" asked my Aunt Mollie.

"A little hard. I'm meeting with the Town Hall today, which means I'm going to meet his father." I said.

"Hm, I guess that can be stressful."

Aunt Mollie was born in Georgia, so her Southern accent was really strong. One of the many things I love about her.

"Believe it or not, I already met Lance before I became his girlfriend," I said.

"Really? Do tell," Mollie said.

"A few days before the whole Match-Maker fiasco, he stood up for me against Barren."

"The pain in the butt, Assistant Mayor Barren?"

I couldn't help but laugh at what she called Barren.

"Yup. He told me that he only acts like that because of his position as Assistant Mayor," I said.

"That's believable," Mollie said.

"He even told me that he loves my guitar playing and my singing."

"I mean, who wouldn't? You inherited those talents from my sister, after all."

I smiled when she mentioned my mother. I then heard my phone's notification sound. Taking it out from my purse, I saw that it was a text from Lance.

LANCE: Morning Rena :)

Smiling at the text, I replied.

SHARENA: Morning.

LANCE: I forgot 2 tell u yesterday. My father would like to hear you sing and play ur guitar. Ever since yesterday, he wanted 2 experience it 1st hand.

SHARENA: Of course, I would luv 2 play 4 ur father.

LANCE: Great, thx Sharena. My chauffer will be there soon.

SHARENA: Alright, c u soon.

LANCE: U 2 <3.

I smiled and got up from my seat.

"Where you goin'?" Mollie asked.

"To get my guitar." I said, walking out the kitchen.

Walking into my room, I took my guitar off the stand and placed it into its case. Slinging the case over my shoulder, I walked back down the stairs and into the kitchen. That's when I heard the doorbell chime. Walking to the door, I opened it and saw Lance's chauffer.

"Ms. Sharena, I've come to bring you to Sir Auburne's house." he said.

"Thank you, I'll be right with you." I said.