Confession Is Hard

"Oh, he's done it... He's finally done it..." Arlo said.

"Who? Done what?" I asked.

"He told Auburne that we're a family planning on killing him!"

"WHAT!?"

What Arlo said caught the attention of Aunt Mollie, Cassie, Mina, my other six cousins, and Onyx.

"Who did this?" I asked.

"Oh, who do you think? Barren! I told you he hates us, hates our whole family! And now he's got the mayor on his side to scope us out and send us to prison!" Arlo cried.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing...

Onyx grumbled and howled. Cassie knelt and wrapped her arms around him.

"What are you going to do?" I asked.

"That's just it, I can't do anything. I'm just an officer." Arlo said.

"But Sharena can." Mina said.

I looked up at my cousin and raised a brow.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You're Lance's girlfriend. You're already in the mayor's good graces. You must go to him. You must go to the mayor!" Mina said.

"What!? I can't! Can't I just go see Lance and tell him?" I asked.

"You can tell him what's going on, but it won't make much of a difference." Aunt Mollie said.

"It will sound more believable if you tell Mayor Auburne yourself." Cassie said.

I turned away from them and let out a sob.

"I can't! I'm too insecure!" I cried.

"Sharena, there's no other way. You are the only one who can stop this." Arlo said.

"No! I'm not going to! I didn't even want to be Lance's girlfriend! I didn't have a choice! If I never went on that stupid game show, none of this would have happened! This is all my fault..."

I hugged my knees to my chest and let out a desperate sob.

"Sharena, there's no other way..." Aunt Mollie said.

"Even if I did go to the mayor, what makes you think he'll believe me? I mean, Barren is his Assistant Mayor." I said.

"We can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you this, you wanted to know why you became Lance's girlfriend. I told you God must have a reason. Sharena, perhaps he put you here for such a time as this. Perhaps this is the reason..." Arlo said.

I looked at him through my tear-filled eyes and then looked away.

"Sharena, you never have to be afraid to do the right thing... (Galatians 6:9)" Arlo said, placing a hand on my leg.

I exhaled through my nose as I felt tears stream down my cheeks.

"I'll pray for you... We'll all pray for you..." Arlo said, looking back at the others.

I looked at my family and they nodded. They all soon walked out of my room, but Onyx stayed to comfort me. Laying his head on my leg, I sighed and began petting his back. I looked up at the ceiling and sighed.

"Please God... Tell me what I should do..." I said.

Swinging my legs over the side of my bed, I walked out onto my small balcony with Onyx closely behind. Feeling the cool air on my face calmed me down a little. I watched the sky turn from dark blue to orange, pink, and purple, seeing the sun began to rise. When I felt the sun's rays on my face, a bible verse my mother once told me appeared in my mind. (Isaiah 41:10)