6: Of Awkwardness & Projects

"I'm afraid that's just the way the world works

It ain't funny, it ain't pretty, it ain't sweet

Oh, and I'm afraid that's just the way the world works

But I think that it could work for you and me

Just wait and see

It's not the end of the story"

The story- Conan Grey

___________________________

A week and a few days have passed since the memorial and I didn't reach for Jus after the hill incident, in the end, we were just plain friends. We aren't even that close, to begin with.

I convinced myself that it was all in my head because I was vulnerable. I simply felt the need for someone next to me since it was during a valuable date. Put into account that during the span of my and Luke's relationship, I was relying on him mostly, hence why he left me. I wouldn't want to lose Justin since he is the first true friend I got.

I also made a mental note to stop clinging to any guy who is treating me nicely. Yes, I have issues that need to be shared with someone otherwise I will be on the verge of insanity, yet I can't act intimate because Justin was genuine, he acted upon the friendship. He didn't want another friend of his to attempt suicide.

I couldn't help but wonder though if he felt any emotion when we danced and when we held into each other? If only I knew what's going on inside his head. I guess I would have known if I tested the waters the following day, but I was too much of a coward to do so.

Therefore, I made my duty as a cheerleader a perfect excuse for not showing up at lunches. I could've used the soccer as an excuse as well but James isn't currently in need of my support.

The girls in the team as well noticed how bizarre the scheduling for our dance practices was, my excuse was that we were delayed in choosing the routines for the season and this delay needs to be compensated.

Throughout the span of high school, my teammates learned that I tend to be a workaholic when I was stressed or coping with a situation, and Luckily for me, they neither argued nor backbit me. They were understanding and respectful and that was one of the many reasons I was going to miss them in college.

That day, we had to obligatorily stay for an extra time after school though. The dancing and cheerleading activity department said that an important announcement needed to be revealed.

They asked us to gather on the soccer field, and when we went, we found the field filled with the musicians and the choir members, which was a first. Usually, our schedules were different from theirs, because we practice in the same classes and I counted on that fact too in the avoiding plan.

My plan had just failed though, because, amidst all those crowds, I was spotted and haunted easily by a certain pair of honey orbs. When his eyes locked with mine, he jogged to my spot so he could catch me. I can't escape this time though, or it would be obvious. Today, he didn't wear his headphones, instead, he sufficed with AirPods.

He stopped in front of me and removed one of the AirPods so he could talk to me, and God, he should be sued for the cute dimpled smiles that he greets me with.

He muttered a simple hi which didn't hurt, then caught me by a surprise with a tight bear hug that winded out the air of my lungs. Literally, it lifted me from the ground and his hands were secured strongly around my waist.

I felt redness overwhelm my cheeks due to the firmness of the hold. I managed to squeak a hello in return when he dropped me down and grinned at me in return.