Chapter 7: The Ambassadors hiccup. (Part 1)

Aside: Knight Captain Telius Drake Rafhound.

Along the border between Allain and Elsbeth there lived a small family of three. This is the story about Telius Rafhound the treasured child of that family. His father was a mid-ranked adventurer, a man of little renown but had heart of gold. His mother was a simple housewife, a beautiful lady born from farmers. They weren't rich and had a cosy life in a small town nowhere of importance. For the first nine years of Telius' life he grew up normally surrounded by love. Then misfortune struck.

A simple mistake while hunting monsters lead to his father's death. The impact wasn't sudden as at times he would be gone for days but these days turned to weeks and the weeks to months. Every day Telius would head to the outskirts of the village waiting for his father to appear. With a smile on his face and hope in his heart Telius waited like he always would. That day however never came and the family of two were now faced with a life harder than ever. Their meagre savings began to dwindle and his mother beautiful as she was could not work to earn money for them both.

It was at this time when the mayor of the town heard of their plight. In the dark of night he came to their house having heard of his mother's beauty. With no man to protect them, he pushed inside their home while his men watched. Telius was afraid and although he could hear his mother scream he could do nothing against the men that held him back. He yelled and kicked to no avail but a lucky blow came through and for a brief second he escaped the invaders grasp. In a rush he charged towards the next room. The mayor had her pinned to a table with a nasty smile. An anger flared into Telius' young heart and in an urge to protect his mother he lashed out, knocking the mayor away. Quick as she could his mother grabbed Telius tightly and tried to escape but the men guarding outside blocked their path. There was a struggle and peeking through the embrace of his mother he saw blood fly. Time froze as Telius looked up into his mother's eyes. They were wide open in shock and silence enveloped the room.

His mother collapsed to the ground as thick red liquid began to pool around her. The mayor and his men panicked and ran from the house leaving Telius alone as he began to cry. Holding his mother's hand he wept for her to stand but her life was draining. With the last of her strength she placed her hand on his face and smiled. It was a sad smile that Telius would never forget and as the memory was driven into his mind a fire burst into the room. Flames sprang up around him. His mother was gone and if he remained, so would he. Pain clouded his heart and mind but that pain began to focus, if he died there would be no justice. There would be no point to his mother's death. Determined he ran through the flames and escaped the town.

For days he travelled in the wild, barely surviving off the plants his father once told him were safe to eat. Eventually he reached a town but no matter who he went to, not one soul spared him the time to help. He lived as a stray, living off scraps tossed to the side. The thought of revenge the only reason for him to continue living. His energy and life began to waver, the mistreatment and suffering had almost taken its toll. Then one day as he begged for food he knocked on the leg of a man. It wasn't cloth that he touched but metal. The knight looked down at him and Telius looked up with dead eyes.

"Food."

The Knight saw the boy and smiled. From his bag he took a loaf of bread and offered it to Telius but at the last moment he snatched it away.

"You can have this bread if you fight me."

The Knights around him were shocked, "Commander don't toy with the child!"

"A man needs to earn his food."

"Here child you can hav-," the other knight began to reach into his own bag but was cut off.