Chapter 18: The Dragonkin (Part 2)

It wasn't till two days later when Gilby finally woke up. We were cruising just above the tree line when he suddenly shot up,

"Leena, Tina!"

"Whoa, calm down Mr Draft," Carl gently stopped him from moving.

He tried to struggle away, "Who are you?"

"It's me Carl."

"Y-you..." his eyes looked for me and I waved back. "I see, you're in disguise... but where am I. Last I remember I was...." He held his head in pain. "The trackers, what happened to them?"

"Unfortunately they got away," Gary said guiltily.

"And where are we heading?"

"To the Dragonkin capital," I replied.

For a moment the shock of my words stopped him from speaking, "You can't be serious."

"I am. It's time I put a stop to them. If demon kind is going to change, a group like the purest can't exist."

"Wait, what exactly are you planning?" Carl snapped towards me. "I'm all for peace but we can't just barge in there and tell them to change. Even I'm not that naïve."

"Close, first we'll ask nicely. Then we'll demand it. If they still refuse, we might have to get violent."

"Isn't there another way?" Sayuri asked.

"I've had two days to think now. I told you what they're like. Eventually they'll discover my town and when they do there'll be chaos. What better way to prevent chaos by spreading a bit of our own?" I let out an evil smile only to freeze as Sayuri's expression blanked. Her mind was trying to remember. "I'm joking," I quickly added. "Of course we'll try to find the most peaceful solution." Which would probably involve not a small amount of fighting.

"I know...." Sayuri nodded and after a small pause looked away. To the others it was non-existent but to me her slight confusion was clear.

I had Gilby tell the Heroes everything he knew about the Dragonkin, how they fight, they're weaknesses and what to watch out for. We travelled quickly and didn't stop at any towns. The only times we stopped was to set up camp and train. The Dragonkin were tracking Gilby by smell. They had picked up the trace when he was buying herbs from a neighbouring village about a day from home. In the case it took too long for them to find us, they would likely resort to retracing their steps and wind up much too close to the town.

The Dragonkin capital was built along the coastline. Named Dragon Quay it was an enormous city and a key point of trade within the continent that linked us to the rest of the world. It had been home to the Dragonkin long before the demons fell under one banner and its history showed as much stretching into myth. After five more days of travelling we arrived. The Heroes, I and Gilby strode to the cliff edge overlooking the ocean.

Gilby took a deep breath of the sea breeze, "Ah, how many years has it been."

"Is this it?" Gary and the other Heroes we're looking around blankly. "I can hear things but...."

"Try looking over the edge," I pointed to the cliff.

They carefully approached the edge. I had the sadistic urge to push Gary off because he could fly but I went against it.