Chapter 4: Their first outing. (Part 1)

Knight Captain Rafhound came towards me during training. The Heroes were fighting a bunch of slime like monsters that had been brought in. I was just reading as usual and turned my attention to the Captain who had a smile plastered on his face.

"Davios you would not believe what happened last night."

"Really? Try me," I smiled in return.

"We caught the scum who were targeting you Heroes."

I pretended to be surprised, "That's great! What happened?"

"Well that's the thing. Apparently some adventurer came and cleaned them all up. No one really could tell what he looked like. Some said it was a girl wearing full armour, while others said it was an old sage."

"He must have been quite strong."

"That's the thing. From what the assassins said he managed to take down a warbeast they summoned alone. Strength of that level immediately puts you at least as strong as a Knight Captain."

"Oh? So that means you've handled a warbeast yourself?"

His expression darkened, "A few times. Some of the hardest fights I've had but it landed me this job." I was impressed, a warbeast wasn't something you were meant to be able to kill alone, though I really couldn't speak on that matter.

"So did you find out who they were?"

"The King asked me not to tell you... but," he looked around to make sure no one else was in earshot, "as the Heroes you have the most right to know. It was a powerful radical group from the Klerical Kingdom. You've heard how they consider their King a God?" I had heard of it in passing. The Klerical King was the leader of their country and the figurehead of their church. He also had a past relation with my grandfather that was by no means friendly. "It seems some extremist faction decided that the Heroes should only serve under their God and no one else."

I scratched my chin, "As Heroes we have to meet with him don't we?"

"Eventually yes, but if you refuse to, know that Elsbeth will stand by your needs whomever we must face." Those words seemed like something the King would have made him say but his expression clearly meant it. This guy had really warmed up to me since I first met him.

"Anyway, with that settled. It would be possible for us to leave the palace now would it not?"

The Captain looked away guiltily, "Well... the King would rather you stay here longer. While the other Heroes have had amazing progress so far, it might be better not to leave for some time."

I looked at him dubiously, "You don't believe that do you?" I gestured to the Heroes who were finishing up the last of the slimes. Sayuri had the slimes core pierced on her sword and it exploded apart. They deftly dodged the remains while a barrier stopped it from coming towards us. "That was a King slime that a group of mid ranked adventures would struggle with. They're not even scratched. With their current talent they could easily become renowned across the country. They're being stifled here and not only that, we have a duty to meet the people, something we haven't even attempted yet."

"I can't argue with your words." The Captain sighed, "I'll bring it up with the King and Master Heafest."

"Thank you."

"No, it's the least I can do." He turned to the recuperating Heroes and let out a commanding voice, "Well done! Training is complete for today. For further practice spar with one another and work on reinforcement."