4

Chapter 4

*Beau Graham's POV*

"Daddy, tell me again," I giggled, leaping into my dad's arms as he swung me around, him laughing loudly as he held me on his hip, pushing my sun stained light brown hair out of my face revealing the same blue eyes and freckles my mother had.

"Big Boat, I've told you a million times," he smiled, walking me towards the ocean. He stood there, his feet in the white water as we looked out at the starry night and full moon whose reflection danced against the rippling waves, the only other light source coming from the fire my father had started. My mouth hung open as I admired the ocean, something that tied my entire family together. 

"One day, I'm going to rule the ocean," I mumbled, my mouth still hanging open and my eyes wide as I took in all the natural beauty that nature bestowed on me. 

"Big Boat, you can't rule the ocean," my dad laughed, smiling at me as I gave him a strange look. 

"But Daddy, you always said I could do anything," I said sadly, looking at my dad with big sad puppy dog eyes. 

"You can, but just not that. You see, the ocean is huge! There are an infinite amount of water droplets in the ocean," my dad smiled, pointing out at the ocean, my young eyes following his finger, "you see, all of these water droplets come from different walks of life to form one big picture, similar to all the people on the island! We all came from different backgrounds, but we work together to make a working system. Well, just like all the people on the island, all the drops of water in the ocean tell a different story of life. Each drop has a story, and although some may be similar, they're all different," my dad smiled, I giggled softly, squinting my eyes as I pointed out at the ocean. 

"You see that one drop way out there?" I giggled, my dad, laughing as he nodded his head. 

"Yeah, what about that one?" He smiled, looking at me the same way I looked at the ocean. 

"That one is definitely mommy," I smiled, turning to look at my dad who was just smiling at me. 

"You're right, that one definitely looks like your mommy. It's the most beautiful drop in the ocean," he smiled.

"Beau,"

"Beau," a voice said making me jump, spinning around to see a figure walking towards me as I sat on the patio by the fence to Josh's back yard, my ukelele in my hands, a bottle of Titos next to me, and the moon above me. 

"Hey," I laughed softly, turning around and looking down at my ukelele, plucking random chords. 

"What are you doing? Aren't you cold out here?" Josh gulped, pulling his hood up as he sat down next to me, studying my movements. "Are you okay?" He said softly as I laughed, grabbing the bottle next to me and taking a quick sip before going back to plucking the chords.

"I thought it was going to make a difference, being away from the ocean," I mumbled, Josh, nodding his head. 

"Do you want to talk about it? I can just sit here and listen if you want," he held his knees close to him as I cleared my throat, never looking up from the strings beneath my fingers. 

"It's weird without him. It's like, it's like my life will never be the same again," I sighed, sniffling softly. "When my dad died, I lost everything along with him. My career, my talent, my life," I gulped, looking up at Josh as he nodded, looking at me with sorrowful eyes. 

"Do you remember that saying your dad always used to say?" Josh gulped as I laughed softly, giving Josh a confused look. 

"Which one? The man was basically a philosopher," I smiled as Josh laughed, nodding his head. 

"The one about how life's like the ocean," Josh smiled as I nodded, looking back down at my ukelele with a soft smile on my face. 

"He used to say that life is like the ocean, it can be calm or still, and rough or rigid-"

"But in the end, it is always beautiful," Josh smirked as I nodded, laughing softly. 

"What's your point?" I gulped, smiling softly as I looked up at Josh. 

"All I'm going to say is, you're the best surfer I know, Big Boat," he smirked, clearing his throat as he stood up, looking down at me, "a super dope buddy of mine once told me that thoughts are like waves and something about surfing them. I think that if anyone can surf some of the toughest thoughts, it's you. After all, you are the one that taught me not to let the waves pummel you," he smiled as I laughed, looking back down at my ukelele. 

"You gotta paddle past the breaks, to where the ocean's calm," I gulped. 

"Exactly," Josh said softly before walking back towards the house, leaving me alone again.