14

Chapter 14

I snuck into Bryce's room, everything still dark as the sun still hasn't risen yet. I tiptoed over to his bed, my sweatshirt and sweatpants covering my bathing suit. 

"Bryce," I whispered, poking him softly. 

"What?" He grumbled, pulling his blankets up just below his face. 

"Bryce, I need your help," I gulped, poking him still. He opened one eye, smiling softly as he realized it was me. 

"Can it wait until I wake up?" He smirked as I shook my head, smiling softly. 

"You have five minutes to meet me in my car," I smiled, leaning in and kissing him gently. He went to pull me close to him but I pulled away, running towards his door. "Wear a bathing suit," I smiled, waving to him before running out, closing the door behind me. 

I ran upstairs and outside, pulling my hood up as I walked to my car, jumping in the driver's seat. I turned the car on and listened to the radio, anxiously waiting for Bryce to come out. Just as the five minutes were up, Bryce came running out, his hood up and an angry look on his face as he walked over, hopping into the passenger's seat. I smiled brightly at him as he just glared back at me. 

"Why are we awake before the sun?" He hissed, crossing his arms as I just smiled at him. 

"I'm feeling inspired," I smiled as he just raised an eyebrow and looking at me as if I was insane. 

"To do what?" He chuckled. 

"You ever been to Malibu before the sun was up?" I gulped as his face began to drop causing a smile form. 

"Are you doing what I think you're doing?" He smirked as I nodded, smiling softly as Josh came running out of the house. He looked at me with a confused look before jumping into the back seat. 

"Why is Bryce here?" He huffed as I laughed, smiling softly as Bryce and I looked back at Josh. 

"I kissed her last night," Bryce smirked as Josh gasped, smiling brightly as I looked at Bryce and Josh with a confused look. "He told me to kiss you," Bryce laughed as I giggled softly, rolling my eyes. 

"Well, you're both here because I want the people who helped me the most through my lowest of lows to be there when I take my first step back into the ocean," I smiled, putting my car in reverse, backing out of the driveway. 

The ride was full of laughs even though it was only 6:45 in the morning. Bryce was telling me stories about Josh, Josh was telling me stories about Bryce, and Josh was even telling Bryce some things about me. 

When I pulled into the driveway of my Malibu home, I let out a loud sigh before turning my car off, hopping out of the car.  

"How you feel?" Bryce gulped, looking at me as I stared out at the ocean. 

"I've felt better," I smiled, clearing my throat before heading towards the front door of my house. I unlocked the door, a smile forming as I walked in, looking around. It's only been a week since I've been gone, but it's felt like an eternity. Bryce and Josh followed behind me, watching me pick up my board and wetsuit, smiling as I just looked at them in my hands. I smiled back at the two of them, both of them smiling at me before following me outside. The followed me down the stairs and towards the ocean. I placed my board on the sand, letting out a deep breath as I looked out at the ocean, the sun rising behind the houses along the shore. There were a few people surfing, but not a lot. It was a local secret that the best time to surf was as the sun rose. The fewest people were out. 

I took a deep breath, trading my sweats for my wet suit. I knelt down, grabbing the wax and began waxing my board. 

"What are all those stickers for?" Bryce gestured to my board. 

"Those?" I laughed, glancing up at him as he nodded, Josh just laughing softly. 

"Those are her sponsors," Josh smirked as I nodded, smiling softly as I looked back at my board. 

"ALL of those are your sponsors?!" He jumped as I laughed, nodding my head. 

"Yeah," I smiled, tossing the wax to Josh who slipped it into the pocket of his sweatshirt. I slipped the ankle strap on before standing up and picking my board up. I let out a deep breath, looking at Bryce and Josh. "I'm ready," I gulped as the two smiled at me. 

"Big Boat, to what do we owe the pleasure?!" A voice behind me laughed making me jump, turning around. 

"Alex," my heart dropped as the tall boy walked over. He dropped his board, smiling brightly as he opened his arms. I laughed softly, throwing my board down before hugging him tightly. 

"Who is that?" I heard Bryce asked, Josh clearing his throat before answering.

"Her ex-boyfriend," Josh said judgementally. 

"They don't seem too fond of me," Alex chuckled, stepping back and placing his hands on my shoulders. He smiled softly, looking into my eyes. 

"What are you doing here? You should be in Oahu," I gulped, smiling softly as I looked up at him. 

"I missed you," he gulped. He smiled softly, leaning in. I turned my head, laughing softly as I stepped back, clearing my throat as I picked up my board, looking back at him. "I'm so sorry-" Alex started, his face bright red as the sounds of Bryce and Josh laughing in the background grew louder by the second. 

"No, I'm sorry. You're a really great guy, but-"

"You need to grow," he smiled as I nodded, smiling brightly. 

"Exactly," I laughed. 

"Which one?" He smirked, nodding as he gestured to Josh and Bryce. I turned around, the two of them trying to act tough, both crossing their arms and looking around as if they were oblivious. 

"Well, the one with the leaf trunks is my little cousin. The one in the red is his best friend who I may or may not have something with," I smirked, glancing up at Alex who was laughing softly. 

"Listen, you'll always be my first love but I'm happy as long as you're happy, Boat," he smiled as I nodded, laughing softly as I looked at Bryce and Josh. 

"This is probably the first time in months that I can confidently say I'm happy," I smiled.