12

Chapter 12

I gasped for air as I came up out of the water, looking down at my watch to see how long I was under for. I pushed my hair out of my face, coughing softly before putting my head back under the water, pushing off against the wall aiming for a better time. However, this time when I came up, a big splash hit me making me laugh as I pushed my hair out of my face, turning to see Jaden smiling back at me. 

"What's up, Beau? You and Bryce have both been awfully cheerful since the other night," he chuckled, swimming over to me. It's been nearly a week since our little 'date'. Each night we find ourselves on the roof looking at the stars, talking about our childhoods. However, it hasn't led to anything more than just a conversation. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I laughed, looking at Jaden as he shrugged. 

"Bryce is my boy, we talk," he smirked as I laughed rolling my eyes. 

"Now what could you two possibly talk about? There's nothing to discuss," I giggled as Jaden shrugged. 

"I can tell you that he likes you, a lot," Jaden sighed as I felt my heart begin to beat out of my chest. 

"Oh really?" I laughed softly, pulling my hair behind my ears as I looked at Jaden who was nodding his head. 

"Yeah," Jaden smiled, "I know he likes you because of how he talks about you. He's only ever talked about one other girl like how he talks about you, and I know he loved her," 

"Hey," a tall guy came up to me as I waxed my board. I smiled up at him, squinting as the sun was right behind him making his face not visible to me, but instead hidden behind his shadow. 

"Hi," I smiled, giggling softly as I went back to waxing my board, the boy clearing his throat as he sat down next to me, holding his knees close to his chest. 

"I'm Alex, I live just down the road," he gulped as I nodded, not looking up. 

"Beau, I live in the orange house. You know, the one that sticks out like a sore thumb?" I smiled, glancing up at the dark-haired boy. He had freckles and a cute smile, his brown eyes were light as they glistened against the sun. You could tell he wasn't one of the tough guys around here, but instead, he was one of the sweet guys, the kind that never wanted to hurt a soul. 

"I wanted to come over here and introduce myself. I always see you out there, surfing. I just want to say that you're incredible," he stuttered, his face bright red as I giggled, nodding softly as I looked over at the group of guys behind him who were all laughing and pointing at us. I smiled softly, looking back at the kid in front of me. 

"So it had nothing to do with your buddies back there?" I smirked as he laughed softly, hanging his head before looking back at his friends, waving at them before turning back to me, clearing his throat as I just giggled. 

"Alright, fine," he smiled, his face redder than it was before. "I came over here because I've been telling me, friends, for the last 2 weeks that I've thought you were the most beautiful girl I've ever seen, AND that you're the most incredible surfer I've ever watched," he smiled as I felt my cheeks get hot as I nervously pulled my hair behind my ears. "They got fed up with me talking about you, and then dared me to finally grow a pair and come over here. You probably already have a boyfriend, but I had to shoot my shot-"

"Are you even listening to me?" Jaden laughed as I jumped, laughing softly. 

"Yeah, I'm listening," I smiled, clearing my throat. 

Something about Bryce reminded me of Alex. I'm not sure what, but there was definitely something.