Chapter 2: Willow Runs

Running. My feet pounding on the earth. Leaves and sticks crunched underneath me. The trees around me became a blur. I just let my legs carry me around the familiar twists and turns of the paths. This was the woods I grew up in, and I was back. 10 years after moving away I was back running these same paths I used to bike on with Luke. Back when things were easy. Unconsciously, my legs carried me right back to that willow tree. Our willow tree. I always loved how the branches and leaves drooped down around, making a whole new world on the other side. I pushed the leaves away, and walked through, entering my old secret escape. My hands ran over the carving we made in the tree. The "C" and "L" carved with a pointed rock, followed by "best friends forever". I didn't even hesitate before climbing up the tree and sitting on the branch.

Now I was all grown up, well 17 years old. Slightly more mature compared to the last time I was here. Back then I had wavy light brown hair that frizzed out beyond control. I was horribly awkward and clumsy, due to that growth spurt I hit that left me towering over all my friends, with no control over my body. To top it all off I had the dorkiest pair of glasses I had ever seen.

Now I was different. Everything was different. I let my hair grow out, the frizz went away some, but it was still just as wavy, almost curly. It had gotten darker, but the summer sun had given me some highlights. It now matched my dark brown eyes. I was fairly tall for my age, but I grew into it. Unfortunately, I was still as clumsy as ever. I used my long legs for running, my escape. Finally I ditched the glasses for contacts, as they made running impossible.

I was brought mack to reality when I heard sticks snap and leaves crunch. Someone was coming. Who came back here? It was so far of the path that no one else knew about it, except me and Luke. Luke!

The drooping branches of the willow were separated, revealing a boy. Well a grown boy. His blonde hair was disheveled and tossed all over. He had a loose white t-shirt on, that hugged his muscles. He was slightly sweaty, and a bit dirty. He stared up at the tree and his eyes appeared green due to the foliage around us. It was Luke, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind. It was Luke.

As he stared up at the tree I realized he still had not seen me. I held my breath and pushed myself closer against the tree. Luke finally gazed back down and was walking up to the trunk. Don't look up, don't look up.
He placed a hand on our carving and I let out a breath. Luke looked back up, and I was sure he saw me. Luckily I was concealed with my long brown hair and black running clothes. Subconsciously I grabbed the locket around my neck, moving it around in my fingers.

Luke's phone then went off, and he glanced at the screen. He began to leave, but not before placing his hand back on the carving. He then picked up a rock and threw it at the river. Hard.

Was that anger? Did he regret hurting me? Was he just skipping a rock, and that was how he skipped it now because of his muscles? Was it something
the phone said?

When I was positive he left I began to climb down, then just jumped to the bottom. I landed harshly, and without grace I'm sad to say. I got back on my feet and began running. I came out of the woods running into the road, down the street. Passing my old house, across from Luke's house. Looking around I saw the streets were empty. Without thinking my legs had carried me to the deserted front yard. Snowmen were built here, leave piles jumped in, bugs caught.

This was my home. My hamster was buried under that rose bush. My dad and uncles built that swing set. Unfortunately this house was occupied, and not for sale. The window to old room was closed off, making it impossible to see.

Letting out a sigh, I put my ear buds back in and ran the rest of the way home. Collapsing on the grass I stared up at the sky, breathing heavily, trying to get my breath back.

"Chloe! Come in here and help me unpack!" My mom yelled from inside. Pushing myself up and heading inside, as I wiped the sweat off my face.
"Here, take this up to your room," she said handing me a heavy box."
Then get in the shower and make yourself presentable, we are going over to the Nicholas' for dinner.

Luke. I was going to see Luke again.

And he would see me.