Chapter 4

The walks through the gardens became a regular event. Even Merab accompanied the couple on occasion.
David enjoyed the walks for a number of reasons; Firstly, he could be outside. Coming from the open fields where he tended his father's sheep, he felt rather claustrophobic at times in Saul's palace.
Secondly, he enjoyed Michal's company, and even Merab was surprisingly sociable on the occasion when she joined them.
Thirdly, the sisters enjoyed a common love for the garden and David was surprised at the depth of their knowledge concerning flowers, plants and trees.
He knew the plants and trees that grew in the arid region surrounding Bethlehem, by sight, and what they could be used for. Some were poisonous, and had to be avoided. He didn't know all their names and often made up his own names for them.
But Saul's daughters put him to shame. They knew the names of all the plants in the gardens, local and those exotic specimens that had been imported or brought in by traders from Africa and Asia.
The most popular plant in the garden was the humble Calanit (Anemone) whose bright red flowers attracted not only Royal visitors to the garden, but also swarms of bees and multicoloured butterflies. Michal enjoyed the indigenous flora. The pale colours of the Oleander, the orange and yellow blooms of the hardy Aloes, the soft pleasing scent of the citrus trees and the delicious fruit of the Apple and Fig trees.
The fruit tree orchards were surrounded by hedges made of Mulberry and Mertle bushes.
Herb beds of Oraganum and Frankincense were separated by grape vines. Palestinian Oak and Pistacia trees were planted on the outskirts of the garden, along with Prunus, Almond and Olive trees.

David's time for walks in the garden grew less and less.
Ever since he had been made the King's armour bearer, David's fascination with all things army, grew and grew. Seeing that he could not run after stray sheep anymore, he had to keep fit some other way. After pleading with Abner, the Commander of the Israelite army, David, as young as he was, was given leave to undertake the basic training, which all the new recruits were subjected to. While most of the soldiers groaned and sweated through the exercises, David excelled.

Saul began to visit the army base more and more. His meetings with Abner and the other Generals grew more frequent.
David realised that he wasn't called to play for Saul so frequently anymore, and yet the king looked healthier than ever. He seemed to be thriving on this increase in activity.

The day dawned when the announcement was officially made....Israel was going to war with the Philistines!
For the next few days, David was caught up with all the preparations for the battle that lay ahead. Helping where he could. Before he knew it, he was watching the dust , in the distance, of Saul's army marching off to war.

Saul had made it clear that David would have no part in this battle. So within minutes of the army departing, David found himself alone and frustrated. Not even Michal's frivolous chatter could appease him. He made up his mind quickly, even though he had been toying with the idea for some time. He would go home and see his father and family.
He went looking for Michal to say goodbye, thinking how he would answer all her arguments for him not going. Luck was on his side. He could only find Merab, Michal had gone to visit a friend. After a quick explanation, an even speedier goodbye, he was on his way.