Chapter 10

Messengers had gone out into the neighbouring districts, heralds called out in the streets. The news was that the King was holding an important meeting in the palace courtyard on the first day of the week, precisely at noon.

The special day arrived, people started making their way to the palace gates. Horse drawn carriages, clattered along the streets, carrying dignitaries to the meeting.
The palace square could hold 3000 people, standing. On either side of the courtyard, were two large halls, used for entertaining. Today the patios adjoining the halls, because they offered shade, were designated for VIPs.

The royal balcony, from which King Saul would address the crowd, was situated high up near the top of the palace building, accessible only from the top floor of the palace. The height of the balcony and the size of the courtyard were carefully taken into account when the palace was built. The acoustics therefore, were such that every word that the King spoke could be heard on the far side of the square, quite clearly. On the floor below, another balcony was situated. Not directly below the royal balcony, but to the right, so that people standing on this balcony, could easily be seen from the royal balcony.

The sun was nearing it's zenith. The palace square was packed. A noisy hum rose from the square as people speculated about the content of the King's address.

Suddenly the trumpets sounded, the doors to the royal balcony opened. King Saul emerged, closely followed, and moving to his left, by his wife, Ahinoam.  Next to emerge and filing to his right, were Saul's three sons. The last person, coming through the doors, was Abner, Saul's trusted friend and Commander-in-chief of his army.

Again the trumpets sounded. The doors, leading to the balcony below the royal balcony opened. Saul's two daughters emerged and stood side by side. Behind them and keeping to the shadows, David and Adriel slipped in.

The King raised his hand and silence reigned.
Taking a deep breath and in his most regal voice, the King spoke.
" Celebrated nobles, special guests and people of Gibeah. I do not want to keep you standing in the hot sun for long, so my words will be to the the point. It gives me great pleasure to announce the betrothal of my eldest daughter to Adriel, eldest son of Abihail of Meholah."
The crowd exploded in cheers and shouts of approval. Saul again held up his hand. Silence was a little slower in coming this time. Saul continued, " To complete my joy, I also announce the betrothal of my youngest daughter to David, son of Jesse, from the region of Bethlehem." Saul still wanted to continue but the crowd, even the soldiers present, presented their approval as an explosion of noise. Clearly this news pleased everyone. It took quite some time for the crowd to subdue. David and Adriel had moved forward and stood by their prospective brides to be. It felt good to be holding hands in public for the first time. King Saul didn't even bother to raise his hand, but started speaking again, with a louder voice,
" Furthermore, the double wedding, will take place in seven days from today. The feasting and celebrations will continue for another seven days. Those of you that receive invitations to this joyous occasion, will be most welcome to attend.
The words of my heart have left the mouth of your King. Praise to our almighty God. So let it be."

Standing on one of the patios, leaning against one of the mighty pillars that supported the roof, Jarvin had listened to the proceedings. Shaking his head in surprise, he wondered at his own oratory prowess. To think that his words could sway kings. Smiling to himself, he turned and walked away, his mind working to it's fullest extent. Not surprising.....he had a double wedding to organise!

The End