Looking at reality

Gilbert's POV:
There it is, the orphanage. I'm standing right in front of the doors frozen, tears threatening to spill from my eyes. As soon as I try to run the door opens and an older lady grabs my arm and pulls me in through the doors.

"The Matron will not be pleased with another one." The lady holding my arm says to herself but loud enough for me to hear. I keep my eyes on the ground but feel multiple pairs of eyes staring at me. The lady who's holding my arm doesn't let go but drags me up the stairs into this room. I still haven't lifted my eyes up yet so I haven't a clue of where I'm at. A door slams shut behind me and I jump a little.
"Who is this?" Another lady says angrily which I'm guessing is the Matron.

"He just got dropped off. I don't know who dropped him off though." The other lady says while still holding my arm.

"Well what's your name kid?"

"Gilbert." I mumble quietly but not loud enough for the Matron to hear. I then hear foot steps getting closer to me. Someone grabs my chin forcefully and yanks my head up.

"Speak up!" She yells.

"Gilbert Blythe ma'am." I say in a shaky voice, terrified of what's about to happen.
She then starts to interrogate me.

"How old are you?"

"8 ma'am." I say in the same shaky voice. I can feel tears brimming in my eyes.

"And who dropped you off? Your parents?"

"No ma'am. Both my parents are dead. I was in Alberta and someone found out that I had no more family. And no one could take care of me so they sent me here." The Matrons face never goes soft. It  always stays serious and intimidating.

"How did your parents die?"

" my mom died giving birth to me and my dad died a couple of weeks ago from a fever." I said trying to not crack my voice. The matron took a second to answer.

"Alright." She then looks at the lady who is still holding my arm.

"You take him and show him where he'll be sleeping, and tell him all of the rules."

The lady pulls me out of the room and down the hall into a larger room filled with at least 20 beds in it.

"You will be sleeping in that bed all the way in the corner." She says pointing to the bed.

"Right now everyone is either on the first floor or outside since it's free time. Dinner is at 5 o'clock. Bedtime at 9. And you are ordered to wake up promptly at 7 o'clock."

She finished saying the rules and finally let go of my arm and left me by myself. I stood there for a minute then walked to my bed. I sat down with my knees to my chest and started to cry. I cried and cried until it was time for dinner. My life would never be the same.
———————————————
A/N: first chapter done! I hope everyone liked it. I promise I will try to make a longer chap next time. And I will also try to publish a new chapter as fast as possible. Please don't be a silent reader and comment and vote! Ok bye now :)
- shirbert lover