1: Fitting In

Every year, after the exam seasons are over, Jonah would kick off - literally - the spring and summer joining one of the regional soccer teams (and a side of a part-time job). He just completed his third year as an architecture major. Ever since he was a little boy, he dreamed of designing buildings inspired by the structural creations of Le Corbusier, or the gigantic skyscrapers courtesy of Chicago architects. As a hobby, soccer was his go-to. He played for years, since grade six, taking the sport seriously until he graduated high school, and realized he needed to steer his headspace away from excessive competition. At twenty one, Jonah was raring for his fourth year, and figured time would fly by if he played soccer once again.

Cole on the other hand, a second year liberal arts major, wasn't as keen on the sport side. Throughout much of his teenaged life he spent it weaving in and out of relationships; guys, girls, and everything in between. His mother, Rose, along with his older sister, Sasha, had suspicions early on. Sasha discovered one too many condom boxes in his bedroom drawers, or Rose realized house hangouts became more than one sleepover. Nonetheless, Rose accepted her son, Sasha accepted her younger brother, and they still love him the same. It took some coaxing from his mom, however, to even try and get his foot on the ball. He may be twenty, but soccer was a sport he only familiarized himself with from middle school gym classes.

Now, these two young men didn't know each other, on a mutual standpoint that is. Sure, they'd pass by the off moment during university, but it'd be a brush of the shoulder as scores of moving people filed in crowded lines to get to their cars or the bus stops. Cole knew he had to branch out his summer activities, and try something other than working a morning shift at a local restaurant. Since the regional matches are only for fun, and not something on the overly competitive side, he figured now was the time. After all, his mom was rooting for him to try something new - anything. She even offered to take him to her yoga classes, to which he declined (flexibility wasn't his forte, nor sitting in a silent room practicing breathing techniques with the odd person passing gas). No, these matches were his best bet, and just in time as his team recruited enough players.

The team name?

"We're called the Tigers this year," Coach Ryan says.

Cole fumbles with his new soccer cleats, picking at the grass sticking to the soles. He just got here about a minute ago, after struggling to find cleats that were his shoe size.

"And this," the coach points to him, who's fixated on manually cleansing his cleats. "Is a newcomer. His name's Cole Archer."

Cole looks up as his name is called. He stands with a hand raised like a teacher did roll call. His eyes dart about a crowd of eyes and a couple laughs.

"Welcome to the team," a teammate says.

Cole nods in response.

"He apparently hasn't played soccer for quite some time," the coach continues. "So I'm gonna need some good sportsmanship today to help him learn the ropes."

"Got it, coach."

Coach Ryan adjusts his cap, then scrolls through some notes on his board. He looks between the board and players, checking to see if everyone's here. His eyes stop at a name.

"Ashton?"

Players remain still and look amongst each other.

"Ashton Davis?"

"Here!"

Everyone looks behind to see a man running towards the crowd. His long brown hair blows in the generated wind from his movement. As soon as he nears the teammates, he slows down and catches his breath.