18: Message

Due to the events that transpired, the match was cancelled. Kacey's injury was believed to be either a torn muscle or bone fracture. He was driven by Nathan to a nearby hospital to confirm it. Tanner hurt not one but two players, so as punishment the match was cancelled, and Tigers were granted a win. Several minutes have passed since everyone dispersed from the field, except for a few. Some teammates offered Cole a ride, including the coach, to which Cole declined. His headache has been reduced to a mere dull, but it remains a nuisance to him.

Joel kneels beside Cole, holding the ice pack for him while he puts his belongings in his bag. Ever since Cole got hurt, he hasn't left his side. Even with Kacey, Cole noticed his expression change from his usual anger to concern for his teammates. He's never seen this side of Joel. He's still taken aback by him calling him his friend. Joel moves the ice pack closer to Cole, but he shakes his head.

"I'm fine," Cole reassures.

"It's my fault, though."

He pauses what he's doing, then turns to face Joel. "What makes you say that?"

Joel bites his lip. "I didn't, I didn't tell you the full story of what happened with me and Tanner."

Cole blinks and stays quiet, yet intrigued.

He sighs. "I admit sometimes I go overboard when I get mad at someone. One time, as revenge for what Tanner did to me, I filled his soccer bag with rotten eggs."

"What?!"

He lowers his hand holding the ice pack and places it on the ground. "I thought it'd make us even, but it only made things worse. Then I guess, as revenge to my own revenge, he well, hurt you and Kacey."

"That was pretty stupid of him. He's banned from playing for the season, yeah?"

"Most likely."

The two fall silent between each other. Now that Joel is revealing some of his vulnerability, Cole doesn't feel too afraid of him spitting back. He decides to break the quiet air.

"I think he got the message,"

Before Cole continues, he waits for Joel to say anything back. Joel remains zipped shut, telling him that he's listening.

"Both of you fighting after a year-long grudge is stupid. We should be growing out of that phase, it's not a sandbox fight in elementary school. I hope you take what he did as a learning lesson."

For a split second, Joel's eyes flare in annoyance, but he eventually softens up. He stares at the ground and nods. "I'll try to tone down my anger."

Cole brings his attention back to the bag and throws his water bottle and shin guards in it. Joel sits on his knees, watching him.

"Are you sure you can drive home?" He asks.

Cole zips up a pocket and nods a bit. "It still hurts, but I can manage. From here it's only a ten minute drive home."

"Okay..." he hands Cole the ice pack and stands up. "Well drive safe, Cole. I'll, see you next practice."

He looks up at him with a wave. "See ya Joel."

Joel makes his way off the field. Cole stands up, adjusting the shoulder strap so it rests comfortably. While walking to his car, he checks his phone. He received quite a few text messages during his absence. With a scroll of his thumb, the notifications show two messages from Dakota.

Dakota:

Hey! Wanna come see the new horror movie with me and Lily 2morrow? :)

You can bring a couple friends along too if you want.

His eyes widen. How could I forget? he thinks. He'd been aching to see this movie since its trailer released in the winter. All of a sudden, someone calls his name from the parking lot.

"Cole!" Ashton hollers. "You played well today. Rest easy when you get home."

Cole smiles. "Thanks! You too." He shouts back, then remembers the invite from his friend. "Oh, hey wait!"

Ashton stops walking and looks at him. He runs up to Ashton, the bag bouncing against his back. He stops a few feet from him to catch his breath.

"Wanna go to the cinema with me and a couple friends this Sunday?"

"Tomorrow?" Ashton runs a hand through his hair and looks at a faculty building. "Shit, sorry man. I'm going on a hike date with my girlfriend."

"Oh..."

"We can still hang out next week. Text Rubin and Dan in the group chat, aight?"

"Yeah, that's chill. See ya next week."

"See ya man! Sorry about that."

"It's cool."

Ashton continues the trek to his car while carrying a large soccer bag. Cole sighs and looks down at his phone's dead screen. He turns it on, then swipes his thumb up to read the other message. A sinking awkward feeling anchors at him once he realizes what it says.

Jonah:

How'd you find my side account? The one with the cats on it.

He rubs his arm, staring at the screen for a good few seconds. Then his mind starts to wonder, does Jonah like horror movies? He takes in a deep breath, exhales, and quickly types up a reply while unlocking the car trunk.

Cole:

it ended up on my feed. thought id give you a follow. btw, do you wanna come see a movie w me and my friends tomorrow? if ur not busy. its the new horror film thats supposed to be rlly good.

It's funny to him, how different he acts through text compared to real life. Never did it dawn on him how much texting can tend to hide emotion easily. Through text, he pretends it's no big deal asking Jonah to come watch a movie. In reality he's certain his ears are beat red. His phone dings.

Jonah:

Sure. I'll bring an extra pair of pants in case either one of us shits ourselves. :P lol jk just tell me the time and what theatre.

A smile forms on his face as he reads the response. Is Jonah a chicken when it comes to horror movies, or do they not scare him at all? During this whole time, he realized his headache hasn't acted up.