three

"Oh, uh, fanks. You have... cool skin," he replied, struggling to find a distinguishing feature in the dim lighting of the tavern. The girl giggled. Her skin was by no means interesting, but it was amusing to see an intoxicated blue haired boy struggle to come up with a response to her compliment.

"So where you from?" she inquired, noticing his accent.

"Across the pond," he smiled stupidly. As his insides filled with alcohol, 2-D's head filled up with even more air .

"Neat."

"Also y-you have cool hair too. I don't know why I said cool skin. I mean- It-It's not like your skin isn't cool but... y'know," he trailed off, getting lost in his mental fog.

"Thanks, but you don't have to say that. I just have boring (y/hc) hair." the girl admitted with a giggle.

"Yeah, but it's like an umm... interesting shade of (y/hc)?"

The both shared a laugh.

"So what brings you here to Vancouver? she said as she took a sip from her liquor.

"I dunno," 2-D lied. He hesitated to share the true purpose of his trip, afraid to reveal his status as a celebrity.

"Huh. I wish I could go on trips on a whim like that."

"It's not as fun as it seems. Really fucks you up"

"I guess that's true. But why would you go on them in the first place ?" 2-D froze.

"Uhh. Dunno."

The girl laughed out loud. "You're a bit clueless aren't you?"

"Yeah," 2-D chuckled.

They continued tossing basic conversation back and forth like drunken ping pong for what seemed like hours. 2-D was glad to finally meet a stranger that did not interrogate him about his blacked out eyes, shocking blue hair, or missing teeth, let alone his position as the lead singer for Gorillaz. He wasn't sure if she didn't recognize him, or just didn't care, but his mind was so foggy he couldn't linger on the notion for very long.

"I'm starved," the girl announced with a few hiccups. "Want some poutine?"

"Poo-teeen?" 2-D slurred, causing the two to roar with delight at such a juvenile observation. 2-D was now completely drunk, four beers worth of alcohol now flowing through his veins. The girl beside him was flushed red, herself having downed six drinks in the past hour.

"Can I please have some poutine," she asked as soberly as she could, once the laughter had subsided. As they waited for their order, their conversation took a more solemn turn.

"So what do you do for a living?"

2-D frowned. He had come to the bar to escape from the answer, not to discuss it out loud. He took another gulp from his pint.

"Music," he mumbled.

"So, like, do you play an instrument?" the nameless girl prodded, unaware of 2-D's aversion to the topic.

He rubbed his forehead. "Keyboard, I guess. But I sing, too."

"That must be fun. What genre?"

"I'm not sure. We get called alternative a lot, but it's mostly just a bunch of different fings mashed togeva'."

"'We'? Are you in a band?"

2-D sighed. "I mean, sort of." His mind was flooding with memories of Murdoc beating songs out of him like a coachman whipping his horse."And it's not fun. Not anymore at least," he added, unable to keep his turmoil to himself.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't- I don't know. I don't even know what I'm doing," 2-D confessed, "I've got everyfing, yet I'm still fucking useless." He repeated the same words Murdoc would bark whenever he couldn't come up with a decent song.

"Aww, don't cry," the girl cooed as she pulled him toward her, leaning him on her shoulder. Despite the overwhelming amount of sadness seeping through his mind, 2-D still couldn't manage any tears. He merely let out a deep exhale. Closing his eyes, he felt his heartbeat accelerate as he smelled her hair, a combination of cheap perfume and floral shampoo. He felt her stroke his back and glide her fingers through the azure forest on his head. She held him close for a long, long time.

Whether it was his intoxicated state of mind or the rarity of such a moment, being held so tenderly seemed surreal to 2-D. He peered up from her shoulder to make sure it was still real. His heart sank when he spotted a greenish figure in the corner of the bar. Panicking, he pulled away from the embrace to get a better look, confirming his suspicions. Even while he was drunk, 2-D could still recognize Murdoc just by the way he slouched.

"Oh no," he whispered, "I've gotta go." He stumbled out of his stool, tripping onto the floor, and scrambled back up and towards the door.

"Wait!" the girl called. She staggered toward him, clinging to his arm. "Where are you going?"

"He's here," 2-D whimpered.

"What?"

"I need to go. He can't find me."

"What are you talking about? Who's gonna find you?"

2-D tried to subtly gesture at the green brute glowering in the corner. "I have to go now," he repeated, his voice quavering.

Without bothering to question why the man was a threat, the girl instead asked, "but where are you gonna go? It's freezing out there." She looked up at 2-D with pleading eyes. "At least come with me." 2-D glanced at Murdoc and back at the girl.

"Promise he won't find me?"

"Promise."