thirty one

2D wasn't actually sure of what to cook, but he figured heating up some water would be a good start. He knew a lot of food began with boiling water, like rice and brown rice and probably wild rice, too. As he wondered what made wild rice so wild, he examined the goods lining the shelves.

Suddenly, he heard the rattling of the pot on the stove. 2D rushed over to investigate the cause of the noise. He hovered his head over the pot and noticed the rapidly increasing amount of bubbles. They reminded him of Finding Nemo, and he smiled at the notion of little fish squirming around in the pot blowing all the bubbles.

He screamed as the bubbles popped, spitting searing water droplets towards his face. 2D sprang back from the stove, yelping in fear at how quickly the gently simmering of the water turned to violent thrashing. 2D hadn't cooked in ages, and this assault of burning spittle reminded him why.  Nevertheless, he knew he needed to cast his opinions aside for this occasion:, a dinner to apologize for walking in on you naked.

"Is everything okay?"

2D felt the urge to whip his head around, but stopped himself. "Are you still naked?"

"No," you sighed. 2D carefully turned to face you, his eyes still squeezed shut. Carefully, he peered out of one eye, and once he confirmed that you were not in fact naked, opened them all the way. "What's with the screaming?"

2D gestured towards the tiny aluminum pot that was trembling on the stove top. "The bubbles. They started attacking me," he explained meekly. Your stern expression melted into a smile.

"It does that," you said, shuffling over to the stove.

"I know that now." 2D scratched his head. He clutched his elbow as he watched you take the pot off the stove.

"What were you trying to make, anyway?"

"I dunno," he admitted, " I don't cook much, but I still wanted to make an apology dinner."

You snorted, repeating the term "apology dinner" in your head. "You really didn't have to do that. I should be the one who's sorry."

"What do you mean? I'm the one who looked  at your tits."

You chuckled again. "Okay, maybe you can be a little sorry. But still, it was an accident. And I made things even more awkward by avoiding you for the whole day."

2D wasn't quick to argue with your statement, but he still was eager to reconcile with you. "I didn't really mind," he offered. "So are we cool?"

You seemed to find the bluntness of his last addition quite humorous, giggling away the last bit of negativity as you agreed. "Do you want to help make a 'not apology' dinner?" you asked, already salting a new pot of water on the stove. 2D nodded enthusiastically, as he was quite starved. You laughed again at his antics and walked over beside him to grab some pasta from the cabinet. "How does spaghetti sound?"

"Fantastic," said 2D. You smiled warmly back at him, causing his heart to swell. While being away from Murdoc had been a relief, he realized what made this time so wonderful wasn't just his captor's absence, but your presence. Every moment he shared with you was a moment he tried to remember. Just being near you was enough to make him ecstatic. You were kind and soft and warm, and everything that was missing on Plastic Beach. But just as quickly as this realization came, so did the realization that it couldn't work.

He was 2D, the eyeless, toothless, blue haired, singing freak. He was no good for anything besides plinking out tunes on a keyboard. He fell in love too quickly, but could only ever manage sleep with groupies. His only girlfriend cheated on him with Murdoc Niccals of all people. He wasn't good enough. He would never be.

2D knew he wasn't the brightest, but even then, he could deduce that it was silly to think he had a chance with you. You barely knew a thing about him, and he barely knew a thing about you. You were both just strangers, and destined to stay that way. But your bell like voice ringing in 2D's ears as you chattered away made him feel special. Even if he couldn't be yours, he would take what he could get an enjoy being with you. He liked you. He didn't need to know much to know that.