Chapter 7

Cal woke to find Logan gazing down at her. "Morning." She mumbled mid yawn. Logan smiled at her. "More like good afternoon." Cal checked the time on her phone to find that it was almost two in the afternoon. She never oversleeps. Logan stretched and sat up. Cal was surprised that he hadn't asked her about the other night. She was thankful to have someone like Logan in her life. He knew her like the back of his had, he knew she needed space. Cal sighed. "Logan, we need to talk." Logan looked over to the love of his life. He knew that whatever was troubling her had to do with the low life they were interrogating. Logan would move mountains for her. He'd walk barefoot on a road made of glass if she were at the end. Anything she'd ask of him, he'd do it with a shit eating grin on his face. So knowing that someone had clearly hurt his love made him angry beyond words. "Before we go back into interrogation I need to tell you about a part of my life that I try to forget. The man Cho works for, is a monster and I would know. His name is Milo. He was my partner when I was stationed overseas. There was a time where he was my closest friend. He is the reason I left that position, the reason I came home. We worked together for years, until I found out he had been orchestrating a whole criminal empire on the side. I don't know exactly when he turned, sometimes I wish that I would have noticed sooner. I eventually confronted him about it. I took him to our favorite beach with a bottle of whiskey. It took me a while to work up the courage to confront him. We had gone through half of the bottle before I even said a word. I asked him if we could talk. Apparently he thought that I was confessing my feelings for him. He was so angry when I told him I just saw him as a friend. He was angrier when I told him I knew about his criminal activity. He tried to get me to join him for a while. After an hour of us screaming at each other I think we both knew that nothing could be as it was. I remember crying, big fat tears were falling down my face. What he did was wrong but the thought of sending my closest friend to jail hurt my heart. For a while we sat in silence watching the waves, listening to the tide. I should have known that he would try to silence me but I guess I was blinded by my emotions. He didn't shed a tear, his hands didn't shake, his voice didn't tremble. I guess he had made up his mind that fast, he was going to kill me. I felt the gun at the back of my head, he told me he was sorry and that was it. He was foolish to think I wouldn't put up a fight. We fought for a long time and I almost lost. We ended up knee deep in the ocean. He knocked me over and before I could react my head was under the water. I felt this overwhelming sense of freedom. I didn't think that dying would be peaceful. In that moment I wanted to let go, it would have been so easy. But I thought of Colt and then my pride started to trickle in. Milo thought he had finished the job, he was dragging my body back to sure when I started to wake up. He was muttering crazy things, talking about how I made him do it, or that he did it for me. We were all each other had and I think killing me pushed him all the way over the edge. He laid my body in the sand and started to cry. I knew I had to make a move. I had a gun tucked into my waistband, and it's by the grace of god it was still there after all of our fighting. I shot him four times in the heart. I killed my best friend that day and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Later I found out that he had a hand in not only drugs but human trafficking and a lot of terrible things. I always tell myself that I did a good thing that day but it's still a hard pill to swallow. Now this guy shows up claiming that he's somehow still alive and that he's coming for me. I don't know what to believe."

Logan hated to see Cal cry. He found her story infuriating but he kept his emotions at bay. "Listen to me Cal. Killing is something we've all had to come to terms with. We compartmentalize, we rationalize and we get through it. But none of us are prepared to kill someone we love, in fact I don't know how many of us could actually do it. Which makes you so strong. The way I see it, is that you defended yourself, and you took a dangerous person from this world. If he is somehow alive, we'll deal with it together." Logan grabbed Cal's chin and kissed her deeply. "Together."